Menu

American Girl Place NY from DC

I'd like to plan a bd trip for dd (11 in Nov). Dh wants us to do this, but I want to keep a tight budget. So, I was thinking of taking the Chinatown bus out of DC (but I understand there are slightly higher priced competitors that would be better so I need info on those carriers). Then, I need to find hotel accomodations. Dh says safe trumps cheap. Dh also says one block can make a difference in NYC and you need to know neighborhoods. Obviously, I'd like something convenient to AG Place. I've heard about the Pod Hotel and the prices don't look out of line with what I'd expect for inexpensive in NYC. I don't know if I can do better. I don't know if I can do safer.

After I hammer out logistics (but I really need the logistics). What else should mom and dd on a get away do together?

Hi Betty,

I'm not sure if I'm the best one to answer your questions but I'll try since you haven't got a response yet. We stayed at the Marriott Garden Suites near Times Square when we went. I don't know how that compares price-wise but it was within walking distance of AG. And I personally agree with your husband--safe trumps bargain! There were quite a few places that might have been very safe but would have made this Texan nervous.

We have been to both AG in Chicago and in NY. How old is your daughter? They have a lovely tea for dolls/doll's parents/girl's parents. My advice is to skip meals there, though. Just go for desert or tea. Their musical is very well done--be prepared for $30 tickets. When we went to Chicago when my dds were much younger, my mom made matching outfits for girls and dolls. They received so much attention and loved it!

My kids loved seeing the shows. Lion King, Little Mermaid and Mary Poppins are all showing on Broadway now. Wicked is another great one. Central Park was cool; my youngest loved finding the sled dog statue featured in Balta.(movie) My dds also liked the M&M factory/store and my dh and I liked the Metropolitan Art Museum. And Lady Liberty was awesome.

I hope this helps some. If I think of any other suggestions. I will repost.

Nandell

The Lion King or Wicked sound good. I think a friend of ours is going to Wicked with her daughter this summer so I will check with her.

I hope someone else can weigh in on transportation, places to stay...

I also enjoyed the metropolitan art museum on a trip 8 years ago.