Menu

Construction type gift for 11yo boy?

Several months ago, someone posted about some interesting-looking construction kits. Unfortunately, I failed to bookmark it, and now can't find it with a search. I also can't remember enough about it. Vague enough, lol? This child has numerous Legos handed down from older siblings, and makes working candy machines, coin sorters, arcade games, etc., as well as models of AK-47s and fighter jets with Legos. His inspiration comes from YouTube videos, then he figures out the details on his own. He also sometimes makes stop-action videos with his little Canon camera, or movies where he and his brother act out scenes, but you choose what happens in each scene (kind of like those books where you choose the ending). Anyway, I'd like to get him something that will challenge him a bit, but we are on a limited budget ($50-$100 total for Christmas). He does have a birthday right after Christmas, so that may stretch our options a little.

I looked at the engineer boy gift posts, and am not sure that Maker Shed is quite what I am looking for. At least, that is not where the construction kit came from that caught my eye.

Help?

I just got ds a bunch of PVC pipe to build with. I cut it in 1ft, 2ft, 3ft, 4ft, and 5ft pieces and got a whole bunch of fittings. We gave them to him on Thanksgiving (we had to cancel his birthday party) and he hasn't played with any other toy since. :D Here's my blog post about it.

I guess I should also have included that it doesn't need to be terribly large. We normally live overseas, and if we go back in a few months, it needs to be packable. Our 9yo would love something like this, but 3-5 ft. pieces don't fit into suitcases or trunks, unfortunately.