Menu

First Language Lessons audio CD -- anyone use without the book?

alisoncooks

I think I will not be using FLL with my kiddos... however, I am currently in the market for some good audio cds for car rides. I'm thinking the FLL cd may fit the bill. Anyone use it without the book? Did you see any retention of the grammar facts? How did it flow for you as entertainment (as far as being a collection of unrelated works on one disc)?

So there aren't tracks of the chants for the different grammar rules covered?

Nope; well I only have the CD for FLL1 & 2 and they are just the poems & short stories which are used in the books. Most of the poems are the ones that need to be memorized and the rest are used for comprehension questions.

We have the audio (and we do use FLL 2/3) and we use it for memorizing parts of speech. Is that what you mean? For example, they have memorized pronoun list, preposition list, etc. I like it, but it may be less effective if you don't have FLL curriculum.

Ah, yes. This is what I meant for the grammar stuff. The lists (which I've seen described as chants.)

Thank you.

There are tons of poems, and some of the narration stories. There are chants and/or songs for pronouns, state of being verbs, helping verbs, prepositions, conjunctions and articles. I think there is real value in the CD even if used alone. My son loves to sing and has everything on the disk memorized, my daughter prefers the chants.

We have the audio (and we do use FLL 2/3) and we use it for memorizing parts of speech. Is that what you mean? For example, they have memorized pronoun list, preposition list, etc. I like it, but it may be less effective if you don't have FLL curriculum.

Ah, my bad! I've just checked and tracks 37-48 are more like the "facts" based poems/songs you're looking for - we haven't reached this point and all the tracks before that are just regular poems/stories; well at least I know now too :p