Menu

Has anyone used FLL3 for a 5th grader?

Guest TaxiMom25

Guest TaxiMom25

Background: My ds who is 10 and going into 5th grade has used BJU and Sonlight English in the past. I don't love either one and am looking for something for him for this year. My other ds, 8 and going into 3rd grade, has used FLL 1&2 and will be using FLL3 this year. My thought is just to get another FLL3 workbook and do them together? I don't feel that he (5th grader) has mastered any of the information that will be presented to him, however, I don't want it to be too easy either. Should I wait and get the FLL 4, or do you think I will be ok with the Level 3?

TIA for your help,

Beth

If you do that, are you going to be covering some writing that includes grammar? For instance WT2 integrates grammar appropriate to that age, which would beef up a lighter coverage in your main grammar book. You also want to make sure he's getting into more complex punctuation and things useful to his age. Personally, I'd look for something more meant for his level, but that's me. BJU and SL don't exactly represent the scope of what is out there or the most effective ways of making things stick. Shurley is good, JAG (junior analytical grammar) is good. R&S is good. Someone was just telling me how much she likes Winston. You could take something mundane and kick it up with Take 5 Minutes Daily History Editing.

With my WT2 class this past year (advanced 3rd to 6th), we did the Take 5 Minutes Daily History Editing first semester, Punctuation Puzzlers 2nd semester. The more grammar the kids had had, the better prepared they were to do the grammar in WT2. Nuts, I think even kids completing FLL1/2 understand more grammar than kids who have been through some other programs! So you can kick up a lower level program by adding more age-appropriate components and carrying it across into his writing, but to prevent sibling rivalry and funny feelings, I'd probably just find him a better fit for grammar and be done with it.

I fell in love w/FLL 3 when my 2nd grader began it last year. As soon as my dd 4th grader finished up her ABeka, I had her join us in the FLL 3 lessons. I didn't feel like it was repeating info, rather giving her a better explanation and understanding of grammar concepts. I have a BA in English and I was learning things!

She did complete WT2 simultaneous w/FLL 3 and it worked out great. This year I'm looking forward to doing FLL 4 w/both 3rd and 5th grader. I'll supplement the 5th grader again w/writing (IEW, maybe) and considering WWE for my 3rd grader.