Menu

Classics & Classics for the Dyslexic Student

kareng

I know I will be opening up a can of worms but here goes!

From what I know, a classic is a book that has endured over time. I found this definition of a classic novel, "While there are many different definitions for what makes a classic novel, it is most commonly agreed that classic novels are novels of literary significance that have withstood the test of time and remained popular years after their publication. Generally, classic novels contain wide global themes that can be applied to any time period. A classic novel usually contains some kind of widespread, universal appeal that results in it being read and embraced by a wide audience of diverse people. Usually, it also contains some unique artistic quality, be it a brilliant storyline or an engaging writing style that sets it apart from other works of literature." This came from http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-classic-novels.htm

I've never really understood why certain books are considered classics. So with that in mind, and given the fact that my dd wants to know what Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights are about, I refreshed my memory by looking up about the books. I must confess that I never read either book, I only saw various versions of movies that were more or less based on the books.

Here are my questions:

1) Is it imperative that my dd who has dyslexia "read" what are considered classics? By "read", I mean any of the following: read a simplified version, listen to an audio book, or watch a DVD based on the book.

2) Are there some classics that are the most or more important for her to read? We made it through Greek Mythology so that she now will know references to certain characters or stories should she run into them. Is the same argument true about classics? That is she doesn't "read" them, she'll be missing out on something? So many of them seem so dark and depressing, that is mostly why I am asking this.

Thank you for your help in this.

I think when you have limited energy, it's wise to pick carefully where you're putting your time. *She* is interested in the Bronte stuff? Mercy, by all means let her proceed. A lot of that is the kind of thing that only clicks when you're ready. Just because something is a classic doesn't mean everyone should read it in 9th or 10th or 11th based on a schedule in some book. As my college friend who now teaches high school english says, it's about the right book at the right time to get the right effect. ;)

If she's ASKING for Jane Eyre, give it to her. I think at her age I would use an audio over a simplified version, so that at least she's getting the entirety of the work. Then absolutely watch the movie. Nuts, watch a couple versions of the movie and compare. There are several good options, and you can compare how they pull out themes, etc. I remember when I was in high school and my 9th grade teacher said Jane Eyre had an early feminist manifesto, I couldn't see it, lol. Maybe our current generation of kids is more tuned in to that? Anyways, lots there to explore.

As far as the rest, I'm with you that you really don't have time to do EVERYTHING. Do well what you do, and that will have to do. No one reads everything, and I'm not sure a classic forced down their throat is better than a book enjoyed that leaves them enjoying reading enough that they want to read a classic later. There are always more books.

Thanks, OhElizabeth for your encouragement and perspective. I like what your friend said, "it's about the right book at the right time to get the right effect."

Do you have classics that you would recommend (I mostly slept through English class in High School and read as liitle as I could get away with)?

Sorry not to get back to you! I had deleted my sig and realized you didn't know my dd is younger than yours. I'm definitely not the voice of wisdom and experience here, lol. Someone else could (and should) give you much better advice. Anyways, I'm sort of conflicted on lit. If I pick books, I risk her not liking them. If there's no structure, we flop. If we agree on selections and google for book guides, sometimes we like the guides (like those shakespeare guides I linked in another thread) and sometimes we don't. I think reading a list and forcing someone through a list that, in entirety, they don't connect with is sort of folly. At some point give up and find the classics from a genre they DO like, kwim? I think there's a little bit to be gained with a good literature curriculum, but honestly it's mainly on MOM'S end. *I'm* the one who doesn't know how to discuss the lit at a higher level. *I'm* the one who doesn't know the relevant points to discuss from xyz.

I got some levels of the BJU lit to try with her this semester, and I'm sort of ho-hum on it. A lot of what they belabor she gets very quickly or sees naturally. I think in her case I may have the level wrong. My gut said to try the gr 10 and I chickened out and got 9. I think the videos might have been nice or made a difference, but we weren't impressed with the samples of the video teacher for the gr 9. The gr 10 is new, don't know who will be teaching that or what it will be like. I've got an EiL guide, and I like it in theory, especially the idea of researching and getting engaged with what you're reading. But she wasn't interested in those particular books and needs structure. There's a lot of lit associated with her history, though some is more accessible than others when you're talking the French Revolution. (She can watch Les Mis but isn't ready to read it, kwim?) So I've been having her read non-fiction and cultural history stuff to go with our history.

Honey for a Teen's Heart organizes its lists *thematically*. So if they're in a mystery stage or are into adventure, fantasy, whatever, there is a chapter on it with moderns and classics. I've been thinking about using it to guide us for a while. If you just want to harvest someone's lists, LoriD is the queen of lists. Just do a board search and find them.

Some people will freak you out and tell you lit has to be done a certain way or else the sky is falling. Then someone else comes on who has actually taught college english and says its not that way. Personally, I had such a huge crag in my own high school lit education (we all sat around in circles and discussed stuff we hadn't read) that I can't fathom it POSSIBLY MATTERING what specific books I cover with her. It matters if she can think, yes. It matters if she can get her thoughts onto paper, yes. But beyond that, what they analyze, from what perspective they analyze it, what topics they write about (maybe not even lit, maybe just history or science!), I think there's just a lot of flexibility there. You could do all theatre and opera for 4 or 6 years, because, in the end, any child who can synthesize and think and write about those can carry it over to lit just fine. I don't think genres or specific lists matter too much. They're tools of convenience for organized, formulaic, factory education. If you find a list somewhere of something she likes better, pursue it.

BTW, while we were slogging through that stupid, insipid BJU lit 9, my dd was, on her own, reading through everything Tolkien ever wrote. Then she got on a mystery kick and started reading everything by a number of classic mystery authors. She has made this friend with whom she debates fine points and exchanges fan fiction writings. That's the energy I'd like to tap into and keep going. As far as making it too schooly with assignments, I don't know. So far almost everything we've done in the lit was a waste. She saw it naturally. But you know kids are all different, and the way they think varies. I'm not advocating just reading and calling it lit, but I haven't found anything I really love to take it beyond that. There are some guides that say they work for a variety of grades and books (Any Novel Study Guide, etc.). SWB in her convention talks advises having a list and working through it by researching context, reading the work, then using a (generally free) online guide. Lots of freedom there. Bummer is, it doesn't tap into our kids' creativity or show you how to study thematically. Our kids might find it more interesting to read globally (compare and contrast Sayers with Conan Doyle and Donna Leone, that sort of thing) rather than just narrowly focusing on one. My dd seems to do some of that on her own naturally. Sometimes it's better just to stay out of the way with her, once she's going on something she's engaged with.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/242812-high-school-literature/ Here's a LoriD post from a while back. I decided to take the plunge and buy a few of the Scott Foresman texts to see how they are. Janice in NJ had a comment in another thread (where she was telling how she uses the SF books) that you could intro with a short work or excerpt using the text and use that as a springboard to round two with a more interesting work by the same author. So the text helps you learn how, then you apply it to something you find more interesting. I thought that might work well for us. She said the SF texts also have a good writing handbook section with lots of samples and that the writing topics themselves are interesting.

Whatever. I figure if you can get a text or tm in the $5-15 range, you can use it an awful lot of ways and still get your money's worth.

There are so many many lists of classics. You could check out the Lightning Lit lists, the lists on the IEW site, the lists in the WTM, etc.

What does she like? Try to find classics that seem they would hold her attention.

My boys loved The Secret Garden.

My oldest is dyslexic and he listens to audio books for most classics. Check your library for classic audio books. See what is available and let her choose.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/242812-high-school-literature/ Here's a LoriD post I found interesting...

I tend to make book lists around whatever type of lit. we'll be studying. So far that has been things like:

- ancient classics

- american lit.

- british lit.

- world lit.

- 20th century lit.

- worldviews in classic sci-fi lit.

- classic fantasy lit.

- inspiring/Christian classics

You might make a book list around a specific goal you have for your literature study, such as "books which are...":

- most frequently alluded to in other literature, films, and culture as a whole

- most likely to expose students to a wide variety of genres and types of literature

- most likely to help the student see/understand a particular time/culture

- most likely to reveal worldviews

- most likely to be of interest or connect with students

- most "meaty" or obvious in helping students learn how to analyze literature

- most frequently covered by high school students

- most likely to encourage and challenge your student in their beliefs

- most likely to impart some of your family values to your student

Many books fall into more than one category for us, so I just list them under all appropriate categories. Making book lists is the easy part -- choosing just the BEST handful from your list to create your actual lit. program -- now that's the hard part!! :)

Below are some past threads that may be of help. In the first one is a detailed post in which I describe how I go about creating book lists and then picking titles to actually study; I also had a second post in that first thread which listed the 10 works and then the 35 works most-frequently taught in high school.

The last link is a list of books the average high schooler encounters in high school or college. BEST of luck in your literature adventures!

Warmest regards, Lori D.

If you make your own literature course/book list

Must reads for high school

6 most essential books in 4 categories

How do I choose Great Books when I haven't read most of them?

Where do you start with a high school boy who has never read classic lit?

College Board: 101 Great Books for College-Bound Readers