Menu

Hot Wheels sets....or something similar, but better??

Every year my boys (ages 8 and 10) put hot wheel sets on their Christmas list and more often than not, we end up disappointed because they don't work, or they break....but they are die hard HW fans. If you own a HW set that actually works and doesn't fall apart, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me which one....other wise if there is a similar type of toy out there that is better (but doesn't cost an arm and a leg), please tell me that too. THANKS!!!!!

We have the 3-Lane Raceway, which I bought (1) because it was the only one that got halfway decent reviews on Amazon and (2) it runs on AC power, not on batteries. We've had it for six weeks without breaking, and the boys still have fun. It is not nearly as exotic-looking as some of the other sets, but is more sturdy as a result.

My son got this all in one wall tracks set last year for Christmas and it still works just fine and he still plays with it. You can buy each piece separately as well. I liked it because it was something different and it wasn't always a big mess in the middle of the floor. My husband wasn't all that thrilled about putting it all together at first, but once it's up, it's up. I think we got this all in one set for $60 on some sort of deal last year.

Hot Wheels Wall Tracks

We have the 3-Lane Raceway, which I bought (1) because it was the only one that got halfway decent reviews on Amazon and (2) it runs on AC power, not on batteries. We've had it for six weeks without breaking, and the boys still have fun. It is not nearly as exotic-looking as some of the other sets, but is more sturdy as a result.

that looks cool...but it is expensive...probably not going to happen...thanks anyway.

We have this set

We also have a set that was called a "Stunt" set, that we got on clearance after Christmas a couple of years ago (for like $9.)

With those two sets, he has plenty to play with. We keep them all in a rubbermaid under the bed tote, and just configure the track however we want it when we get it out. I've found those two sets are MUCH better to stay together than the themed ones my older son used to get.

Do you leave this set up all the time? I think the boys would love it, but it old take up a lot of space?

We have this set

We have this set now, and it is a lot of fun.

My son is too young for HW accessories, but I have been eye-balling my friend's sons track set for future gifts: http://www.blutrack.com/

He plays with it daily and sets it up in many many creative ways. I think its pretty awesome (and he seems to be learning about physics too!!! IE curves, loops, acceleration, lol)

ETA: You can buy 18' on amazon