Menu

Paleo / Crossfit Roll Call

Hi Ladies,

I am wondering how many of you out there in WTM-land are eating a paleo diet and / or doing Crossfit training?

Could you please chime in with a few items?

1. How strict are you in eating Paleo?

2. If you are doing crossfit style training, how often, and do you go to a box or gym to train?

3. What has been the impact on your health?

I'll start. My family has been reducing the amount of grain / sugar we eat and definitely eliminating gluten since the summer. We are going to begin a strict Paleo regimen starting in January.

I am in my third full week of crossfit training. I absolutely love / hate it. It is the hardest thing I've ever done for my body, but I feel so much better already! I am expecting good results, but I look forward to hearing other people's stories.

Me!! I am Paleo...veggies, fruit, meat and fish....some nuts and healthy oils. No dairy, limit on eggs, no grains, no gluten.

I am a Crossfit wannabe!!! I am planning on joining Crossfit this summer after I get a bit stronger. I am training daily at my local gym....AND I try to do some WODs at home. I love box jumps and rowing and lifting....but I can not do even one pull up, and I don't think I am ready to push my body to lift heavy....yet.

I am dealing with auto-immune issues and Paleo lifestyle has allowed me to feel healthy for the first time in years! I do have Fibromyalgia, so I have to be a little careful not to spark a flare up, But honestly.....I work out HARD! The harder I work out, the better I feel. I may be sore, but it is a good sore.

We are Paleo-esque. We feel more onboard with WAPF-style diet but ds recently had to go gluten free so the whole family went along which pushed us further along the Paleo spectrum. I've done Whole 30s before. But I find that I need butter and at least a bit of other dairy (cream, mainly) to feel really good eating Paleo.

I do not Crossfit! I do think that style of fitness program is pretty good but we aren't gym people at all. My sister is a Crossfitter (?) so I hear about it all the time.

I am pretty paleo. I do eat dairy (just cheese) fairly regularly though. If I cheat, it is with sugar. I never cheat with grains. I started May 1st, and have not had ANY grains or legumes during that time. Not much in the way of processed foods either - can't really think of anything. I feel great! I lost about 8 lbs, which I really didn't need to do, but I much less "squishy" now.

I am afraid of Crossfit. I had a hernia which was surgically repaired in the early summer, so I am fearful of lifting anything very heavy. I do work out at home about five days a week using exercise DVDs. Mostly circuit-type training, lifting hand weights, etc. I am not keen on cardio at all.

Me!! I am Paleo...veggies, fruit, meat and fish....some nuts and healthy oils. No dairy, limit on eggs, no grains, no gluten.

I am a Crossfit wannabe!!! I am planning on joining Crossfit this summer after I get a bit stronger. I am training daily at my local gym....AND I try to do some WODs at home. I love box jumps and rowing and lifting....but I can not do even one pull up, and I don't think I am ready to push my body to lift heavy....yet.

I am dealing with auto-immune issues and Paleo lifestyle has allowed me to feel healthy for the first time in years! I do have Fibromyalgia, so I have to be a little careful not to spark a flare up, But honestly.....I work out HARD! The harder I work out, the better I feel. I may be sore, but it is a good sore.

Oh, don't worry about not being able to do a pull-up, lift heavy, etc. That is why you go--to get there. If you are waiting until you can do those things to join a crossfit box, don't--they teach you how to scale everything until you can do those things. It is so hard and so awful and wonderful at the same time. And good for you for loving box jumps. I cannot do them yet. Not 20" anyway. I am lifting heavier each time, and the best word anyone has told me at crossfit was "you're stronger than you think," and i'm starting to see that she is absolutely correct!

This is a nice find! I'm new to the boards and beyond excited to see some crossfitters! I wod 3 times a week in my garage gym with a friend. I use CrossFit elementary curriculum with my twin kindergarteners. I often do the CrossFit kids WOD :)

We are not strictly paleo. Meal planning is a challenge, there isn't a lot of paleo that is quick.

I am tall, squats, specifically overhead squats are very humbling!

Nice to "meet" all of you.

This is a nice find! I'm new to the boards and beyond excited to see some crossfitters! I wod 3 times a week in my garage gym with a friend. I use CrossFit elementary curriculum with my twin kindergarteners. I often do the CrossFit kids WOD :)

We are not strictly paleo. Meal planning is a challenge, there isn't a lot of paleo that is quick.

I am tall, squats, specifically overhead squats are very humbling!

Nice to "meet" all of you.

Lol! I love squats! For the first time in my life I have a.....BUTT!! Hahaha!!!

Tell me about the Crossfit Elementary curriculum. I might love to do that with my boys.

Lol! I love squats! For the first time in my life I have a.....BUTT!! Hahaha!!!

Tell me about the Crossfit Elementary curriculum. I might love to do that with my boys.

Ha, and for the first time I have hope of losing my butt! Or at least getting it to its correct size.

I didn't know the was a cross fit elementary curriculum. My kids have tried and will start attending the crossfit kids class at the box. They absolutely love the class. Is the curriculum something available to purchase or view online?

The curriculum is expensive!

http://www.crossfitkids.com/index.php/Store/

I am trying it with my kids this year and hoping to start a mobile homeschool box, think capable of setting up at a park, next year. I am not certified but I hope to be eventually.

You could easily adapt the CrossFit kids WOD for your kids. The curriculum provides info on teaching technique and uses a gradual progression building up to more complicated elements.

CrossFit is such a wonderful sport but sadly it's insanely expensive. My hope is to start a nonprofit homeschool box and open it up to the masses. My major hurdle is certification costs :( I've been slowly acquiring or making child size equipment. My 2 yr old does some phenomenal PVC squats :). My 5 year olds play on rings hung from a door jam pull-up bar when we review Math facts or they just need to get their wiggles out.

I looked at putting my kids in the local CrossFit kids class but for the cost the 6 week program I could buy the curriculum and enough child specific equipment to WOD my kids at home for several years.

I'm doing a semi-paleo thing, eating meat, fruits, vegetables, eggs, and a little bit of dairy (cream in my coffee, milk in my tea, a tiny bit of cheese on the weekends). I'm not doing grassfed/cage-free due to the cost and inconvenience of finding good sources. I have snuck a couple of bites of the kids' cookies and licks of their ice cream, but for the most part I've been good.

Been eating this way for five weeks now, and I feel really good. I've lost 11 pounds and don't crave the carbs or sugar at all.

For exercise, I'm too wimpy for crossfit. Just lots of walking, which I really enjoy. I'd like to add some weight lifting element but not sure where to start, and joining a gym isn't in the cards for me right now. I do try to heft the baby (2 yo) a bit more, which also doubles as play time, since he enjoys being tossed around a bit.