Menu

xpost: Creating an online classroom:

Has anyone created an online classroom? As gas prices get higher, I'm considering this for an every other week class. We would meet online 2x month and in person 2x month.

If you've done this, what software did you use? Was it free? Easy to use?

Did it require you to have a large server? I only have a typical home computer.

Thanks for any help!

Michelle,

I haven't done this, but I would love to learn how to do it especially for Co-op classes. Our co-op meets only once per week, so it's difficult to teach certain courses because they need daily or at least twice/wk meetings. I've heard many folks like to use MOODLE, but how to go about using it is something I don't know.

Jan

The interface I use the most for my online tutoring is

http://www.vyew.com

I usually teach/tutor 1-2 students at a time--but this program can handle more. It is free for up to 5 people at at time--after that it is VERY inexpensive to add more students.

It does work best when all students have high-speed internet.

It is compatible with Windows AND Mac.

It has a VOIP feature and also phone conferencing (all call a special 800 number).

I like the fact that I can prepare 'pages' ahead of time and the students can print out the whiteboard.

I use a graphics tablet/pen to 'write' on the whiteboard with--MUCH easier than trying to write with a mouse!

VYEW (pronounced 'view') has free webinars to help you get started.

It is EASY to use.

Since I am teaching Math I'm only using the whiteboard.

The interface I use the most for my online tutoring is

http://www.vyew.com I usually teach/tutor 1-2 students at a time--but this program can handle more. It is free for up to 5 people at at time--after that it is VERY inexpensive to add more students.

I just went to their website and it looks like the first 20 participants are free and the upgrade to more participants is minimal???

This looks great and I'm going to attend their webnair tomorrow - thanks for posting this :)