Menu

How to figure out reading level

lincap

Just wondering if there are any free assessments out there that will tell you your child's reading level. I want to buy my son some new books or have titles/reading level ready for relatives for his birthday and Christmas. My relatives usually ask "what reading level?", which I usually just answer with his grade (first grade). But wonder if I should figure out what his actual reading level is.

Right now he reads just about anything he picks up. I think the more difficult stories being Ferdinand the Bull and Corduroy. He is just about to turn 7. A few friends suggested Magic Tree House books.

Thoughts? Thanks!

This thread has a few suggestions http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/showthread.php?t=253625

For relatives, how about seeing what books your child pick up at the bookstore? My kids did not like the magic treehouse series even though lots of kids their age would be reading those.

Another way is to make a list of classics that you would like your child to read in the future and put that as the wish list.