Menu

SC Rental Question

Depends, it could be both. Many employers/landlords run credit as part of an application process already, some jobs require criminal background checks. When I hear "background check" I generally think criminal. They may be checking to insure they are not renting to a known s*x offender.

For a rental, it could be both. I have friends that rent homes/apartments. They do a criminal check primarily for drug charges. In my state, a landlord can lose the house if drugs are dealt or manufactured inside of it. It's in the landlord's best interest to try and screen out those problems in any way possible.

Criminal check, no problem.

Credit check, I expect, but also expect to run into problems. We've barely survived the past few years. We just lost the house we were living in due to conditions the landlord refused to properly fix (found out from neighbours that she has done this to other tenants and then whines when they move out) and the plumber told us he was turning her into the city as it was obvious that this has been a problem since before we moved in (the sewer line broke into my living room twice amoungst and was backing up into all my drains amoungst other issues). We put most of our things in storage and moved in with friends. Meantime, dh went through CDL training and is now an OTR trucker making good money. We are saving to move close to my family.

I'm hoping that offering several months worth of rent upfront (6mos) and/or a bit more than asking will help someone overlook our credit?