Menu

CLE Math vs. Rod & Staff

MamaHappy

I've used both. CLE is workbook based and the teaching is in the workbook. It is spiral in that it goes over a new concept every day and has continuous review. The new topics do not necessarily go together - for example, you may learn a step in long division today, but something about perimeter the next day and something different the next day.

R&S is textbook based meaning you need to copy each problem to a piece of paper especially in the higher grades. I LOVE the oral review in the teacher's manual. It is more mastery based - for example, Chapter 1 is about addition, Chapter 2 is about subtraction, Chapter 3 something else. It does have continuous review problems though.

I prefer R&S's mastery but the copying wasn't working, so we use CLE.

HTH,

We love CLE here too, although we have not used R&S for math. We have used Right Start, Singapore and Math Mammoth and CLE is a much better fit here. I like that it is easy to teach. My sons needed the review it provides. They also like the workbooks.

Well, I've searched and searched on another forum for a post I wrote re: CLE math. Can not find it!:tongue_smilie:

So, I'll throw this out....

R&S gives you, the teacher, a lot of hand holding in the TM. CLE's TM doesn't do this at all. I'm not a math-minded person, and need everything spelled out.:glare: Near the end of level 300 in CLE, I realized that once we hit concepts which were a little harder to grasp-I would have a sorely lacking TM, which would be of no help. I realize that is because the light units have the teaching built in, but if my dc didn't grasp that particular teaching, I didn't have a back-up TM to help *me* teach.