Menu

Please advise LA 1st - 2nd! WWYD??

Amy M

I'm a newbie. I have to pick out my curriculum up through my first son's 5th grade year, as we live overseas, and are coming back to the States next summer and shipping everything back at that time. I thought I made well-informed choices with comparison charts and everything... This was my plan:

ABeka for language arts in 1st and 2nd. ABeka is what I knew, was given a free K TM, and heard it was a sound phonics program. I bought R&S, Spelling Power, and Writing Strands to use starting in 3rd grade-ish.

Then I hit the sale boards this last summer and bought PLL (since I'm going w/ MFW for humanities and they recommend it, and it's cheap), then couldn't pass up R&S 2 (it was cheaper than one consumable ABeka language workbook for 2nd, and I already had grades 3-5), then couldn't pass up FLL 1/2 ($5 ppd)! I also like the looks of Classical Writing Primers, with their inclusion of nature study and picture study; they just look neat. So can you help me choose the best thing if you were me? I'm feeling very insecure about what to cast my lot in with and can't see them to compare--they're at my mom's house in the States. Here are my choices now:

Phonics, reading, and handwriting: ABeka 1st and 2nd, review in 3rd; will probably stick with them for these things, though it's a lot of writing...

Language 1st grade choices: FLL1 or ABeka 1 lang workbook $15 (the workbook starts with a lot of phonics review, which ABeka has another workbook for, and ends with some creative writing, which I think might be too hard--not like WWE philosophy).

Language 2nd grade: FLL2 or ABeka 2 workbook (don't like it so much) or PLL2 or R&S2 or Classical Writing Primer. :tongue_smilie:

Spelling: I really want something rule-based, but it looks like ABeka's isn't really so. It's phonics-based, which is close, but it's nothing like the AAS sample I saw. I could buy AAS for up to the first three levels, then move to Spelling Power; or I could stick w/ ABeka (not terribly rule-based) for 1st and 2nd. I would like a great foundation w/ rules and phonics; will ABeka do that or not? I think maybe not... or at least not as well as AAS...

Writing: Should I get WWE 1 and 2? Or could all that dictation, etc., be covered in AAS or FLL or SOTW? The reason I'm considering it is that I don't want to mix different curricula too much and thought it went w/ FLL. ABeka says in their TM that it's good to use a standard curriculum for some reasons, including, saving you time planning, helping a newbie be successful, and ensuring they learn the appropriate material at the right levels with the right review, etc. I don't want to have "holes" from jumping around too much. :confused: So how can I cover everything the classical way without having "holes" (and preferably without shipping a ton of extra curricula I don't need). :001_huh:

If you've read this far, thank you, thank you, thank you. !

Bumping with another question: Are the differences between the first edition of FLL 1/2 and the new editions with separate volumes FLL 1 and FLL 2 significant? I'm looking at the sample, but don't know how different it is from the old version. Thanks!

Bumping with another question: Are the differences between the first edition of FLL 1/2 and the new editions with separate volumes FLL 1 and FLL 2 significant? I'm looking at the sample, but don't know how different it is from the old version. Thanks!

No, the spacing and layout are better and easier to read. I think a few of the redundant lessons with WWE were also removed but that is it. Otherwise the content is exactly the same. :)

Well, here's what I'd do :). Just focus on phonics/handwriting until you hit second or unless you move through phonics very quickly.. Do narrations and copywork. If your dc takes off well with reading in K, you could start AAS in 1st, otherwise, wait until you're done formal phonics then start AAS. For dictations, I just use AAS honestly :). You could use your R&S 2 if you have time/motivation - I like it, do most of it orally unless your child loves writing :).

Well, I live overseas and I'm much in the same boat (we use MFW as well). I had buy several years worth to ship down for my children and I have a son in 2nd grade. This is what we've done.

I did teach him to read with Abeka using the workbooks, readers, etc. He got so tired of it though toward the end, and I got tired of teaching it. He was reading so well, so I just pulled out an extra phonics workbook (2nd gr. Spectrum) that I had been given, and he's enjoying the review. I'm not saying that this is going to happen with your son, but it would be good to be flexible to the needs of your son. You don't know yet if he's going to get it quickly and it would be redundant to continue with the same stuff, or struggle and need the extra time practicing. So I would say be prepared--within reason. Don't try to cover every possible scenario, but get an extra workbook cheap from Walmart or Sam's that is a review of the material he's covered.

My son did really well with reading, but couldn't get past lesson 10 in MUS Alpha. Tears...every...lesson. So, I pulled out another generic math workbook that taught time, money, basic geometry and fractions. That gave time for him to mature and for me to research what would work best and ask a person coming down to put his math curriculum in their suitcase.

My opinion that covers the bases from your curriculum choices:

Abeka for phonics, handwriting, etc. sounds good. I believe 3rd grade goes up another level beyond phonics and basic writing, so you might want to check into that a little more.

I believe PLL is supposed to gentle but thorough in it's introduction of grammar and language usage, which you are supposed to start (according to MFW) the 2nd semester of 2nd grade.

(Here's the link of the downloadable one I was able to get even while here in Brazil, scroll down to access a sample--http://www.primarylanguagelessons.com/primary-language-lessons-workbook-part-1)

I also used FLL 1 and am in FLL2. I have the older book that has both together. But it's funny, I wasn't able to keep myself going with it in 2nd grade for either my daughter (several years ago) or now with my son, I'm really struggling to make myself do it. I don't know if it's the age of 2nd grade that's so hard to make them concentrate, or if it's me. You may be different. But I'm planning to finish the phonics review workbook this semester with my son and then start PLL in January.

For spelling, I like the recommendation of R&S spelling 2 (Sound and Structure) that MFW gives. I've used AAS1-4, they're very good. But my son is a natural speller, and I'm tired of teaching it (did it with older daughter who struggled). This year I'm working through How to TEach Spelling with the workbook and once I figured it out, it's working well. I can't say I love it yet, but it's working. It's quick and painless, but is not entirely independent, which R&S Spelling is (from what I've heard).

If you use Abeka, I don't believe you'll need WWE, there's plenty of writing sentences by the end of 1st grade (like several sentences of creative writing). If not, I think the FLL/WWE route is very complete. With PLL, you wouldn't need WWE either.

Hope that helps you through this maze. I'm now trying to decide history and science for the next several years so I can buy when we go back on Furlough. AAAAHHHH!!!!

Thanks so much, Julie. I totally understand the mental workout and confusion it is to make these decisions ahead of time, trying to guess what will be good for your kids, most of it sight unseen, and think history/science rotations out with furloughs and shipping, etc. I read your other post, but don't know really what to say--I'd probably stick with RTR actually, and just do US field trips while there, but you know what's best. Your advice is valuable to me.

Anyway about my LA situation...I was looking up a R&S Spelling 2 sample this morning, and wasn't very excited about it. Maybe. For right now, I think I'm leaning towards dropping ABeka language and spelling workbooks and incorporating FLL 1/2, WWE 1-2 (or just 1 and using PLL for the second half of grade 2 as you said--that was a helpful tip), and AAS 1-2, maybe level 3. The more I re-read TWTM philosophy, the more I get it; and it resonates with me. If anyone thinks that it would be a bad thing to mix ABeka phonics/handwriting/reading with these other language arts programs like that, please let me know. I don't want to do too much in one area, while having holes in another. Thank you! :)

Amy, I just had an idea. When are you ending your furlough, or have to have your things to ship back? I'm going in December 2013, and if we can make it happen, I can send you my AAS levels 1-4. Let me know if it would work out timewise. I was already planning on selling them, but would rather do this if I can get them to the States. Let me know... God bless :)

If you use AAS, does anyone buy the student packet for their "additional students"? Does that mean I'd have to buy the student packet for my 2nd son coming up, or can he use the same materials as my 1st ds? I thought AAS was not consumable.

Julie, that is so kind of you. I sent you an e-mail. :)