Menu

4th grade science project ideas... (Lewelma, ideas?)

My 4th grader is using Elemental Science Logic Biology this year. There is a science project scheduled for the next few weeks that steps a student through choosing a topic, identifying a problem, stating a hypothesis, planning an experiment to test the hypothesis, reading the results, presenting results etc.... (Sounds just like the kind of thing Lewelma has been talking about here.)

All of this sounds like a lot for a 4th grader to tackle, and ES Logic Biology is really written for 5th-6th grade. Ds has enjoyed ES's weekly experiments and has also done well with reading, outlining, and writing. I would like to do a science project with him, but I don't want to frustrate him.

Could you all recommend some biology science projects for 4th grade that follows the above procedures? Or something that is more grade appropriate? I need some topic suggestions. We have a microscope, and ds loves to use it. It would be wonderful to have a project that includes using it.

The cooler weather limits how much outdoor fodder is available.

Could you all recommend some biology science projects for 4th grade that follows the above procedures? Or something that is more grade appropriate? I need some topic suggestions. We have a microscope, and ds loves to use it. It would be wonderful to have a project that includes using it.

The cooler weather limits how much outdoor fodder is available.

Ok, thinking Biology, inside, with a microscope....

Which type of bread moulds fastest? processed, store bakery, home made, etc. Or breads with different quantities of sugar in them.

How does the environment affect mould growth? Sunny sill, dark room, hot water cupboard, refrigerator?

Which type of yoghurt contains more bacteria? (depends on the strength of your microscope).

We did a microscope project where he collected water from outside and did the rest of the study inside. We identified creatures in water from a ditch, a stream, a rock pool, his frog tank, and the ocean.

Some people like to grow cultures using petri dishes. What location has the most bacteria? door handle, toilet seat, kitchen sink, computer mouse?

Inside, non-microscope ideas:

What rots the fastest and under what conditions? Need lots of jars, and you just bury different things. Then keep them warm/cool or moist/dry etc.

You could run outside and take a sample of your compost bin, bring it inside, and identify all the creatures living in it.

You could grow worm farms in a bunch of boxes and feed them different things, and then count them at the end. You would be asking the question, what type of environment promotes worm farm growth?

You could do human biology. How does age affect the ability to keep your hand in cold water? See who could last the longest. But you would need a large number of friends to do this to be able to make a nice graph.

Or something with smell. How does age affect smell? Or how many different items can you identify by smell before your nose quits working?

You could do a genetics tree and trace different traits through the family. Blood type, eye color, or things like hitchhiker thumb and tongue curling.

Well, that gives you some ideas. Let me know what is most interesting, and I can start to lay out an experimental design.

Ruth in NZ

Ok, thinking Biology, inside, with a microscope....

Which type of bread moulds fastest? processed, store bakery, home made, etc. Or breads with different quantities of sugar in them.

How does the environment affect mould growth? Sunny sill, dark room, hot water cupboard, refrigerator?

Which type of yoghurt contains more bacteria? (depends on the strength of your microscope).

We did a microscope project where he collected water from outside and did the rest of the study inside. We identified creatures in water from a ditch, a stream, a rock pool, his frog tank, and the ocean.

Some people like to grow cultures using petri dishes. What location has the most bacteria? door handle, toilet seat, kitchen sink, computer mouse?

Inside, non-microscope ideas:

What rots the fastest and under what conditions? Need lots of jars, and you just bury different things. Then keep them warm/cool or moist/dry etc.

You could run outside and take a sample of your compost bin, bring it inside, and identify all the creatures living in it.

You could grow worm farms in a bunch of boxes and feed them different things, and then count them at the end. You would be asking the question, what type of environment promotes worm farm growth?

You could do human biology. How does age affect the ability to keep your hand in cold water? See who could last the longest. But you would need a large number of friends to do this to be able to make a nice graph.

Or something with smell. How does age affect smell? Or how many different items can you identify by smell before your nose quits working?

You could do a genetics tree and trace different traits through the family. Blood type, eye color, or things like hitchhiker thumb and tongue curling.

Well, that gives you some ideas. Let me know what is most interesting, and I can start to lay out an experimental design.

Ruth in NZ

Oh! Thank you Ruth and Mom so much! I just had a second to check for responses and have to rush to start school now. I will look at these suggestions later.

:001_smile:

Ruth,

I think the microscope project investigating different types of water would work well for us.

We have small variety of aquatic environments in our own backyard: a small neighborhood lake, a turtle aquarium, and a small fish pond with water-lilies. Rainwater could be another sample if/when it rains.

I suppose we could determine that the lake water sample has the most organisms in it. Or, a certain kind of water plant grows best in the fish pond than in the other kinds of water. Or, a certain type of organism can thrive in lake water but dies in the other water samples.....

Just trying to brainstorm ideas. It really would be wonderful if we could use our microscope.

I truly appreciate the list of ideas you generated. I would NEVER have thought of all those topics!!! (The other one that sounded possible was the one with petri dishes and growing bacteria from objects in our house. Yet, I remember trying to do this successfully in a microbiology class from college, and I could never make the bacteria grow. I dropped the class because it didn't take long to figure out that I wasn't going to do well in the class at all.)

If you could get me pointed in the right direction, I would be most appreciative!

The Happy Scientist just posted a unit on creating a science project that you might find interesting-- I believe he discusses the hypothesis and testing it etc. Robert Krampf always has a wonderful, accessible way of explaining things!

You can find it on his website, TheHappyScientist.com

I think the microscope project investigating different types of water would work well for us.

If you could get me pointed in the right direction, I would be most appreciative!

Exploration: The first thing I would do is explore the topic. Get a sample of each type of water, make a few slides, and see what you find. You are likely to need to

1) figure out how to make a decent slide and where to find the little creatures inside the water

2) look up on the internet how to identify the organisms

3) make a notebook and draw some pictures

4) figure out how to measure the field of view and then the organisms you see

5) Generally get a feel for your topic so you can ask an informed question.

Asking question and Designing methods: After doing this (it might take a few weeks), then you need to come up with a question and a method for determining an answer. Possible questions:

1) Which organisms are found only in 1 type of water?

2) Which type of water has the most organisms in it?

3) Which type of water has the most diversity in it?

4) If you are really inspired, can you transfer a species from one type of water to another and see it thrive and multiply or die off (this would take more time and sampling by far)

etc

After forming the question, you need to figure out your methods:

1) How are you going to sample each water type in a systematic and consistent manner?

2) How many samples do you want to study?

3) How are you going to count?

4) How are you going to record?

5) How are you going to be objective in all things?

Data collection, analysis, conclusions: Then collect your data, and your analyze your results with graphs, averages, etc. Finally, draw your conclusions.

Happy to answer questions,

Ruth in NZ

Exploration: The first thing I would do is explore the topic. Get a sample of each type of water, make a few slides, and see what you find. You are likely to need to

1) figure out how to make a decent slide and where to find the little creatures inside the water

2) look up on the internet how to identify the organisms

3) make a notebook and draw some pictures

4) figure out how to measure the field of view and then the organisms you see

5) Generally get a feel for your topic so you can ask an informed question.

Asking question and Designing methods: After doing this (it might take a few weeks), then you need to come up with a question and a method for determining an answer. Possible questions:

1) Which organisms are found only in 1 type of water?

2) Which type of water has the most organisms in it?

3) Which type of water has the most diversity in it?

4) If you are really inspired, can you transfer a species from one type of water to another and see it thrive and multiply or die off (this would take more time and sampling by far)

etc

After forming the question, you need to figure out your methods:

1) How are you going to sample each water type in a systematic and consistent manner?

2) How many samples do you want to study?

3) How are you going to count?

4) How are you going to record?

5) How are you going to be objective in all things?

Data collection, analysis, conclusions: Then collect your data, and your analyze your results with graphs, averages, etc. Finally, draw your conclusions.

Happy to answer questions,

Ruth in NZ

Thank you so much, Ruth!!! We're going to get started on this next week. If this goes well, it might change the way we've always done science. You have been so helpful to share how to do science on this board. I really appreciate your help!

If we run into questions, I'll be sure to post here.... in hopes it may help others.