Menu

Which is a better resource for Foerster's Algebra & Trig

I have the solutions manual. Which other resource would enable me to explain concepts more clearly: the teacher's manual or Superstar Teacher's Algebra 2 DVD from the Teaching Company. The child using this does not like video teacher's and prefers me to teach, but I'm not an expert and I don't know if the teacher's manual will give me enough instruction. TIA!

My son just completed Foerster's Algebra/Trig book in June. I was armed only with the solutions manual and he survived - me, the teacher!

Perhaps, a teacher's manual would have helped me, but I did not own one. My son and I sat down every school morning to read over the lesson, work out the practice problems, and Quick problems. Usually, he then proceeded to complete the assigned problems (which was usually odd or even ones). There were several occassions several problems baffled he and I, but then I sought out help from several other math-oriented home school moms. We quickly noticed that the problems became challenging towards the end of each lesson. My son did very well on the tests - often easier than the daily lessons.

I am math challenged as you can surmise, but I survived and learned upper math somewhat too!

I think you may be able to find a used copy of this through some of the used book sellers like ABE or Powells....maybe even Amazon. I have found his teacher's editions to be really helpful because they tell you how many days each section should take, give suggestions for which problems to assign, which ones may have pitfalls and so forth. You don't want or need the graphing calculator supplements....they are out of date.

I'm a bit of a wimp when it comes to scheduling things.....I really appreciate having a plan laid out for how many days it takes to do something and what a reasonable home-work assignment it. When it gets left up to me, I tend to expect too much...so my ds really likes having a plan that is NOT just designed by me..:tongue_smilie:...I tend to be a slave driver, I guess.

I have the solutions manual. Which other resource would enable me to explain concepts more clearly: the teacher's manual or Superstar Teacher's Algebra 2 DVD from the Teaching Company. The child using this does not like video teacher's and prefers me to teach, but I'm not an expert and I don't know if the teacher's manual will give me enough instruction. TIA!

Michelle, you might want to take a look at Math Without Borders

It presents the lessons in a whiteboard format. Foerster's is the base text for this program.

I have the Algebra I TM, and I did not find it all that helpful. It did not really expand on the lessons all that much. I need more than what is present in the Foerster's TM, since my math skills are not that strong.