Menu

Stirred up about Math

Guest rozcraft

Guest rozcraft

Fellow HS Moms in the trenches,

I am really starting to panic about the math curriculum for my son who has special needs but is higher functioning. Initially, I was told by others how great MUS would be for him. So, I bought it and I'm not sure if it's working for us. Here are reasons why it's not working (maybe):

1. The book I am using (beta) is used and I erase used pages as I get to it. I feel like we are intruding on the previous work that's been done in it and mathtime seems cluttered.

2. I am not getting this feeling like, "Wow look at what we learned today." This is because in the two years we switched to Saxon and came back to MUS because Saxon math books (1 and 2) was just too busy work.

3. I don't care for math and am not the best at it. I did make it through to Geometry and then dropped out of Trig.

I just ordered 2 books to look over: Progress in Mathematics and JUMP at Home Math grade 3. I figure that if I don't enjoy teaching MUS then, it doesn't help my son, right?

I am not strong in math, and I think my son is more teachable than I give him credit for. He is asking to learn multiplication, thanks to his Brain Age Nintendo Dsi game, and I am petrified thinking about the best way to teach him.

Do you think I'm on the right track here?:bigear:

Did you consider ordering a *new* worktext for the MUS? It sounds like that would solve your problem. Lots of people don't enjoy what they're teaching. I hate history, but we do it anyway. I wouldn't change if he's understanding what he's doing, progressing, and content. You make more progress by STICKING WITH SOMETHING than by jumping around.

Don't know if that fits your situation.

I'd encourage you to explore and exploit the free downloadable resources available from the MUS website. You can generate more worksheets, download extra material, and your child can use the online drill.

You never mentioned using the videos. Is your child watching the videos? MUS may not be the best option for your child. Try the resources before you make another jump.