Menu

KISS Grammar question

cloversandlions

It seems that for grades 6 and up, the material is the same through the different levels, and that the material for 3rd grade is the same as the material for 4th and 5th, too.

I was going to print these out (I've tried doing it with an iPad, but it takes longer), but there are only books for a couple of the grades. When I make at least a cursory comparison between the 6th grade books and upper grades, they seem the same (or very, very similar).

Am I missing something?

You have the gist of it. It isn't the GRADE level that it is important. It is the LEVEL that is important. You start with Level 1 & progress up LEVELS - using whatever grade materials are at or lower than your student's grade. I've read the sentences in the sixth grade (level 1) material are pretty darn tough. My oldest is using the third grade (level 1) book.

So, you might use Level 1 sixth grade.

When done with that, you would move onto Level 2 sixth grade.

Then, Level 3.1 sixth grade.

Then Level 3.2 sixth grade, even if your kid is in 8th grade by then. Etc.

Each Level has the same ideas taught (theoretically), but using different sentences for analysis.

We do KISS twice a week. Sometimes, it is two or three exercises. Sometimes, it is one page. We work for about 20-25 minutes and then check our work. (We usually take turns on the sentences.)

There are a lot of threads on here on making KISS work. The key seems to be not doing every.single.exercise. If your kid understands the concept, move onto another one. And there are supposedly some good teaching pages at the back of the answer key. I haven't looked for them yet, but I saw a reference to them in another thread.