Menu

Ideas for a literature co-op class

Homemama2

How often will you meet and how long each meeting? I am currently leading a book club for 3rd-6th grade. We meet monthly and discuss a book read at home, then we watch the movie based on the book and discuss differences. We've also had some fun things along with it such as food or crafts that fit in with a book. What I did to prepare for discussion was to read through Deconstructing Penguins, and I also went through Teaching the Classics.

If you aren't going to have time to real full books, you might could use a list like this to find picture books, poems, or short stories that would be good examples of different literary elements or techniques. Language arts lists start on page 10.

This is a good lapbook covering many of the major literary elements. I've found some good items at this site, too.

Thanks for the ideas! The class meets once per week for 12weeks. The classes are 45min. So I was thinking we would read one or two chapters per week at home, then discuss it at co-op. I 'm not sure if this would work well though...

Here are some books that our group has done over the last year and a half. You could look at doing a unit study and lapbook along with a book.

The Trumpet of the Swan

Because of Winn Dixie

The Borrowers

Abeka's version of Swiss Family Robinson

Charlotte's Web

The Cricket in Times Square

The Tale of Despereaux

Here are some books that our group has done over the last year and a half. You could look at doing a unit study and lapbook along with a book.

The Trumpet of the Swan

Because of Winn Dixie

The Borrowers

Abeka's version of Swiss Family Robinson

Charlotte's Web

The Cricket in Times Square

The Tale of Despereaux

Thanks a lot! I didn't think about the lapbook with it. I've done lapbooks w/ classes at co-op before, and they always seem to go over well. :001_smile: