Menu

12 year old and his future

Scarlett

Hi. I haven't posted to the accelerated board in a long time. I've had a crazy few years with divorce/remarriage/move etc...and I've been pretty laid back about ds's12 school. He is in his 7th year of K12 through a virtual academy and he is now doing all of his work independently. (I still have to crack the motivation whip)

He is still working a year ahead in math with no problems. He is still testing high on his standarized tests (last fall he scored 99 percentile on language and math). This in spite of the personal turmoil we have gone through the last few years. He then took two tests to gauge giftedness this fall and scored high on both 92 and 97 percentile. This put him in the gifted program, but so far that has meant nothing...hoping some opportunities will come up soon.

My issue is what direction do I need to point him in? He is academically lazy and always only wants to do what is absolutely necessary--not a drop more. I think more challenge would help...but I am unclear on how to go about that.

I think his interest will be engineering related. I am not keen on the idea of traditional college progression...in that he will graduate high school and 'go away' to college. I would prefer some sort of gradual program....dual enrollment? CC? We will very much encourage he live at home until he can support himself. I also am in favor of a gap year--especially if he graduates early.

As you can see I am all over the map here and I need a plan---even a loose one.

Ideas appreciated.

How much hands-on are you interested in? as in, things that require parental involvement.

Offhand, I would say the primary concern is teaching a strong work ethic and good attitude toward learning. K12 seems to be a good program, academically, but esp. if he is not challenged, his main opportunity to challenge himself is to do what he needs to with least effort. I do not have ideas for working with the K12 framework, but have ideas RE other programs.

One plan: switch to WTM. Use History Odyssey for history; for science, check with the Logic folks for something engaging that doesn't take tons of time; start him in Writing with Style; use Classical House of Learning Literature for a lit. tie-in (it's free); start him in MEP Year 7 and maybe LoF too at the right level; continue his language, or if he doesn't have one work through Getting Started with Latin and/or Getting Started with Spanish -- both are easy to use, inexpensive, and get you going while you figure out the next step. Pick up KISS grammar, or use Growing with Grammar wherever they suggest placing him, or Kilgallon.

Watch plenty of interesting science and history documentaries.

I am totally sure that isn't what you will want!!! but there's one point of departure ...

ETA: I got so distracted by the second part of your note, I plumb forgot about the first part:

:grouphug: and congratulations on all you've accomplished in the last years!

Edited by serendipitous journey

How much hands-on are you interested in? as in, things that require parental involvement.

Offhand, I would say the primary concern is teaching a strong work ethic and good attitude toward learning. K12 seems to be a good program, academically, but esp. if he is not challenged, his main opportunity to challenge himself is to do what he needs to with least effort. I do not have ideas for working with the K12 framework, but have ideas RE other programs.

One plan: switch to WTM. Use History Odyssey for history; for science, check with the Logic folks for something engaging that doesn't take tons of time; start him in Writing with Style; use Classical House of Learning Literature for a lit. tie-in (it's free); start him in MEP Year 7 and maybe LoF too at the right level; continue his language, or if he doesn't have one work through Getting Started with Latin and/or Getting Started with Spanish -- both are easy to use, inexpensive, and get you going while you figure out the next step. Pick up KISS grammar, or use Growing with Grammar wherever they suggest placing him, or Kilgallon.

Watch plenty of interesting science and history documentaries.

I am totally sure that isn't what you will want!!! but there's one point of departure ...

You are getting me all excited about picking out curriculum again (haven't thought about it much in years), but the fact is I need to keep him in K12 for a couple of reasons. 1) I need to be able to have him in an approved public school in order to qualify for some free CC classes hopefully when he is 16. Before if possible. Does anyone know the earliest they allow high school kids in CC for dual enrollment? 2) I have custody and get to make educational decisions but my XH could make waves and I'd prefer to avoid that if possible.

I think I would be ok with him continuing to do his K12 quickly...and add in something. I don't know what though. He needs enrichment that doesn't make him feel like being smart gets more work piled on. He needs something to excite him.

You are getting me all excited about picking out curriculum again (haven't thought about it much in years), but the fact is I need to keep him in K12 for a couple of reasons. 1) I need to be able to have him in an approved public school in order to qualify for some free CC classes hopefully when he is 16. Before if possible. Does anyone know the earliest they allow high school kids in CC for dual enrollment? 2) I have custody and get to make educational decisions but my XH could make waves and I'd prefer to avoid that if possible.

I think I would be ok with him continuing to do his K12 quickly...and add in something. I don't know what though. He needs enrichment that doesn't make him feel like being smart gets more work piled on. He needs something to excite him.

oh, this makes sense. Will think on it.

and if you haven't seen my above editing yet: :grouphug:!

It sounds like he's doing great so far. Are you looking to supplement subjects he is already studying, or to add in new subjects?

If he's interested in engineering, is there a math counts or other math competition group he could join? Or maybe do a science fair project?

1) I need to be able to have him in an approved public school in order to qualify for some free CC classes hopefully when he is 16. Before if possible. Does anyone know the earliest they allow high school kids in CC for dual enrollment?

Depends on the school. The cc I teach at has policy that they don't want kids under 16 taking courses. I don't know if they'd make exceptions. Check on the website of your cc. Also, check policies on dual enrollment. From what I've read, some courses are very hit or miss on getting into.

Depends on the school. The cc I teach at has policy that they don't want kids under 16 taking courses. I don't know if they'd make exceptions. Check on the website of your cc. Also, check policies on dual enrollment. From what I've read, some courses are very hit or miss on getting into.

Good point about getting into them.....as far as the age requirement I do think 16 would be soon enough.

I think what I would like is to see him graduate high school by 16 and then do the CC route for a year or two...and THEN maybe take a gap year for a year of volunteering and working. After the gap year he would be 19 and know a bit more about what he wants to do...As an example he could do something toward engineering in CC and see how he feels about it. And then during his gap year hopefully be working somewhere in that field even if just doing drafting.

Of course he will have to cooperate with that plan. :tongue_smilie: But he is 12 now and doesn't have a clue, really, about how it is all going to 'feel'. He thinks he is going to graduate hs at 16, college at 20 and get married at 21. :glare:

It sounds like he's doing great so far. Are you looking to supplement subjects he is already studying, or to add in new subjects?

If he's interested in engineering, is there a math counts or other math competition group he could join? Or maybe do a science fair project?

THIS is what I need to look for. Something to spark his inner interest...

I live fairly close to Tulsa---just moved here---surely there is something in Tulsa like that.