Menu

FLL for older dc's?

faiths13

I want to switch our grammar (yes already, lol). My sons are 11 & 13. We have been doing CLE (level 6) and I am spending alot of time going over and correcting each lesson everyday. its just not sticking. they honestly havent seemed to "get" any grammar. we have even gone all the way back to verbs - what are linking verbs, helping verbs, etc, and its still slow going. My older dc is doing a bit better, but not by leaps and bounds or anything. So I was thinking of trying FLL. I was wondering if anyone has done FLL with an older dc? My sons have never done diagramming either (and I never learned how), dictation, and only a bit of memorization (althought these are things I want them to do). Do you think FLL 3 or 4 would be a good idea? Or go for something else? We are using WWS right now and I love the way the book is written (the teacher instructions).

Edited by faiths13

Mine are 8 and 9 and we jumped into FLL3 this year.( They have never done grammar before.) It is going well so far, I am making them memorize the rules, I can't really say yet if it is sticking or not. I can tell you that it went way to slow for my 9 yr old at first. He was bored because it is so scripted in such a way that breaks everything down into such small parts. I am not able to use all of the scripting so that it moves a little faster. Also if you don't know it, this is not something that you can hand them to do on their own, you have to teach the lesson.

I went back to FLL 3 with my 14 and 11 year old last year. We also use CLE LA and I have seen a big improvement. I love it for cementing the basics. It was a hard move for me to make because I felt like I'd failed somewhere. Now I'm so glad I did!

I don't think I would try it with FLL 1 or 2 as that is geared towards younger kids, but my older kids had not problem starting in 3.

thanks for the great replies! very helpful :) I actually think my 11 yr old ds at least would be happy with the scripting part. they do like to be able to work independently, but that isnt going well with LA and math. We were trying MEP math which is scripted and they handled that fine. But I was wondering what level R&S to start them with as well. I am debating between the two.

Edited by faiths13

DS got a TON out of FLL. The discussion part really helps retention.

ANother good one is Hake. DS is doing Hake grammar 5 this year after doing FLL last year. I spend a minute reading it over with him, and then it's independent.

ETA: and if they both need grammar, you could just do it all together. Even better! I do not think they are too old at all. you can skip a bit of the script and speed up if needed. But really I actually learned alot from FLL. I don't think the 4th book really has an age attached to it. I never learned formal grammar, and learned quite a bit from it.

Still no eta on ALL? Is FLL more of a spiral or mastery curriculum?

Don't count on ALL at all. From the PHP posts on it, I'd say it is indefinitely shelved.

There's only so much grammar in English. FLL1 works almost exclusively on nouns and verbs. FLL2 gets you through all the parts of speech. FLL2 starts diagramming and discussing the jobs that nouns and verbs do in a sentence (subject, predicate, predicate nominative, prepositional phrases, etc.) I don't know about FLL4, I would guess it goes in even more depth.

So, I suppose I'd say it's spiral in an age-appropriate way - but there's a lot of memory work, too (pronouns, definitions of parts of speech, prepositions, etc.). It's very incremental, particularly in FLL1 & 2. My just-turned 8 year old is halfway through FLL3 and doing very well with it (but she is very verbal, always has been). My about to turn 7 will finish FLL2 this week.

I <3 FLL.

You might consider analytical grammar. While it is challenging, it is effective, efficient, and very, very thorough. You may need to review the basics, or start in the level before AG's main program, but I am very pleased with this for my DS11. FLL was getting too repetitive and even too easy.

Don't count on ALL at all. From the PHP posts on it, I'd say it is indefinitely shelved.

There's only so much grammar in English. FLL1 works almost exclusively on nouns and verbs. FLL2 gets you through all the parts of speech. FLL2 starts diagramming and discussing the jobs that nouns and verbs do in a sentence (subject, predicate, predicate nominative, prepositional phrases, etc.) I don't know about FLL4, I would guess it goes in even more depth.

So, I suppose I'd say it's spiral in an age-appropriate way - but there's a lot of memory work, too (pronouns, definitions of parts of speech, prepositions, etc.). It's very incremental, particularly in FLL1 & 2. My just-turned 8 year old is halfway through FLL3 and doing very well with it (but she is very verbal, always has been). My about to turn 7 will finish FLL2 this week.

I <3 FLL.

aww thats a bummer : (