Menu

Morning Routines with Toddlers / Preschoolers

I am in need of some serious help with the morning routine. I have two kids (2.5 and 4) and no matter what I have tried we just can't settle into a good morning routine. The problem is that we've been so busy (moving, buying a house, moving, traveling) I just keep saying we'll figure out something when this phase is over but I have got to quit making excuses!

Some mornings when we have somewhere to be I can get us all rushed together and out the door in time no problem (and yes, clothes and breakfast things are set out the night before) but mornings when we don't have anywhere to be we just wallow which usually winds up with the kids in front of the TV for way to long and me on the computer much longer than I need to be. Plus I would love a 'set' routine where they know what to expect when they get up most mornings at least, we have been flying a lot by the seats of our pants and it's stressful on everyone.

So, what does your morning routine look like with toddlers / preschoolers? Especially if you're not a morning person! I love getting up before my kids, but until my husband is back home that's just not going to happen. Any ideas / routines you have set in place where they can entertain themselves while you have a cup of coffee?

Thanks in advance!!

Wake, eat and get dressed in shifts (the two early risers eat, then get dressed while the late risers eat and dress quickly), then we start circle time. The kids take turns playing with the toddler after that, and the K girl is done quickly and they go off together.

Not much but we like it. :tongue_smilie:

Sorry, but I have to get up before them to drink my coffee and do my quiet time in peace ;). I get up at 6:00, go down and have my coffee and have about 30 minutes for chores before they get up. We have a rule that they have to stay in their rooms until 7:00. They come down, immediately eat breakfast, then at 7:30 we go back upstairs, make beds, put away pj's, get dressed and brush teeth. They know to hustle because any time they have left over until 8:00 is play time. I start school at 8:00, with all of them participating, we break for snack at 9:00, and I work with Asher on math and handwriting while Jax and Sweet P play together. We are done with school by 10:00.

I cannot allow myself to get on here, Facebook or Pinterest, or we will never get anything done for the day. I just have no self control, so I leave the iPad upstairs :). It helps if I am showered and dressed before they get up, somehow this motivates me to be more productive.

My middle two usually wake before the sun. The rule is that they are quitely allowed to play with toys or read books, but NOTHING with a screen so don't even ask. They usually play with toys.

When I get up, the kids who are awake eat breakfast with me. I am NOT a morning person so we don't do a full morning spread. It's usually a choice of eggs, toast or cereal. If I'm feeling particularly peppy, I'll make a smoothie.

Then, we split for some separate chores. I dress (or at least put on a bOOkshelf) and clear the table/wipe the bathroom counters. The older two dress, pick a shelf of the dishwasher and unload it, and clean their rooms/make their beds. Ideally, one is doing the dishwasher, while the other is doing his/her room. That way there is no fooling around while getting their chores done.

After that we start schoolwork or complete getting ready to leave the house (on Wednesdays).