Menu

Hypothetical Doggie Update, lol...

So after speaking with the lady who lost him, I spoke with my husband. The lady did not know we had the dog. I wanted to get a feel for them first.

DH and I talked about a few various things and issues we had. I'm glad that he's supportive in allowing me to help the animals that come my way and also the people that sometimes need the help. Though I felt the living situation wasn't what we would do, and that the dog wasn't quite cared for the way I would. I still felt that the dog was loved and missed.

I was pretty busy all day with the kids and working on their schedules, then the hay was being baled and so we spent a few hours in the field dealing with that. We headed back in to get cleaned up, eat and then feed the animals. As I was tending the cows, I got a phone call asking if I'd found a Min Pin. I replied that I may have and asked the lady (the MIL) to go on. Turns out, her friend in the airport was reading the paper while waiting for his flight. They had called all their local friends to ask them to keep an eye out for the little dog. He figured he'd look in the paper and see if someone found him. There was my 'found small dog ad' and so he called her to give her my number. I spoke with her for some time and felt much better about their situation, but did explain that I had a few concerns about the dogs care that I would like to discuss with them.

So I met at their house (my friend lived two houses down and could see us, lol) and we talked for a bit about their Min Pin and my concerns which they validated were things that needed a little improvement on.

I'm happy to report, that a little girl and her family have their pup back. The mom just cried when I took him out of the car. They saw how the care he'd got when I had him was beneficial and they want to continue it. They remarked that he sure smelled better, :001_smile: and I stated that a simple little bath does wonders for his dandruff as well as a better quality food. I had done some legwork and put together some food recommendations, the vets number where his appointment was at in a couple of weeks, his vaccination record tabs to give to the new vet, and prices for some of the services that I felt he needed and they agreed he did. They were surprised to see that his teeth cleaning wouldn't cost nearly as much as they had thought.

So far it's a happy ending. I did tell them that I surely hoped I wouldn't have to pick him up from the road again. And they agreed that no, I wouldn't see him again, :D. I will be calling to adjust the vet appt in their name and so the office can call to remind them. They were offering a reward for his return and I told them that I knew about the reward and wanted them to take that money and put it towards his vet care. That it was more important than the little money I put into him. They wanted to pay me back for his vaccines (which come to find out he was actually a little overdue for), but I refused. I explained that taking care of animals and finding them sometimes involves helping the owners learn more about giving their pet a better quality of life. They were doing what they knew to be okay, but they could do better for him with a little knowledge about better care. They were happy to accept a little advice and change a few things. I also showed them how to keep his nails shorter, lol. They just didn't cut them much because they were afraid of cutting the quick. I could sympathize I said so I showed them where I cut them to and explained that each month just check them or take him to the local vet and they would do it for a small fee.

So for all those that thought I was a big dog thief meany :tongue_smilie:, the dog made it home to hopefully a better life.

As a person who finds, fosters, or adopts many dogs, my goal is to balance the best interest of the animal and people. So far I have felt at peace with all of my decisions whether the animal has been returned or just disappeared...I'll keep an eye on him for a bit. He's not far from my home :D