Menu

Direct TV...What channels should I block??

We have just moved into the 21st Century after not having Television for over 12 years. We live in the boonies so had to go with a dish, we chose Direct TV. OK, there are soooooooo many channels! The last time we had TV there were, maybe, 20 channels available with our cable company (we lived in the city) so I am absolutely CLUELESS what some of these channels are and what kind of programs they will air. I'm ok with most everything except nudity, sex, and shows with F-bombs. For example, we have previously rented from Netflix and enjoyed watching The Walking Dead, CSI, The Vampire Diaries, Criminal Minds, Haven, and the like. We would not watch things like True Blood or anything overtly sexual or foul.

Any channels I should beware of?? That you would suggest blocking? I mean, I know my boys are older (oldest is living on his own) but it's still MY home and they ARE boys. 'Nuff said. ;)

Thanks in advance!

I think the shows and movies are what you need to be looking for, not whole channels. For example, PBS is usually very mild but they run Britcoms on Saturday night and some of them might have references you don't care for. If you want to police the tv, choose a show for them to watch and remove the remote so they can't change it?

I would make sure I didn't have Cinemax. And I'd block AT LEAST Cartoon Network (or put a timer on it so it couldn't be watched at night). I don't know much about what all is available. Our package (not directv and I think packages change by area anyway) is the smallest so has almost nothing that the general person would want to block. Conscience-wise, we'd have to block well over half the channels. Instead, we just pick and choose shows to watch/not watch.

I would make sure I didn't have Cinemax. And I'd block AT LEAST Cartoon Network (or put a timer on it so it couldn't be watched at night). I don't know much about what all is available. Our package (not directv and I think packages change by area anyway) is the smallest so has almost nothing that the general person would want to block. Conscience-wise, we'd have to block well over half the channels. Instead, we just pick and choose shows to watch/not watch.

I am assuming you'd block Cartoon Network due to your kids wanting to watch cartoons at night?

We have the most basic package also, but of course it came with 3 mths of free HBO, Cinemax, STARZ, and Showtime that we could not opt out of. I found the parental controls though and have blocked R rated and above movies. If something comes on that is R, but not objectionable to my DH or I, then we can unblock it.

You can set it up so that a password is required for certain content matters or certain times (regardless of station), at least you can on our Direct TV account. You even have the option of blocking the titles of adult shows from showing up on the show listings page. My dh actually set it up, so I'm not exactly sure the process, but I think it is something that you can do in your account online. You can even have different settings for different TVs. Our upstairs TV becomes password protected during school hours and after 9:00 pm.

ETA: I just looked, and you set up the controls though your actual DVR, not online.

Edited by mandymom