Menu

Right Start Math Card Games - will it help a struggling math student?

OKCyndi

We aren't using Right Start; we're switching to CLE after a year of struggle with Rod and Staff. He just doesn't remember those 1st grade math facts, or even the concepts behind them. I just bought CLE, so I don't want to switch to Right Start, but I wondered about the card games....would they be helpful even though we aren't using the curriculum?

Thanks!

Cyndi

http://www.twoedgetalk.com

We aren't using Right Start; we're switching to CLE after a year of struggle with Rod and Staff. He just doesn't remember those 1st grade math facts, or even the concepts behind them. I just bought CLE, so I don't want to switch to Right Start, but I wondered about the card games....would they be helpful even though we aren't using the curriculum?

Thanks!

Cyndi

http://www.twoedgetalk.com

I think it can work. It has worked well here, but it will work first on base 10 addition and subtraction (1-10 fact).

In both Singapore and Right Start you look at every problem and reduce it into something that is easier for you. At first this thinking takes longer, but once you are used to it you can move numbers quickly in your head.

84+45= I think, 8 is 2 less than 10, so I need 2 from the 4 and there is 2 left over, or 120. 4+5=9, so the total answer is 129.

93-69= I think 9-6=3, then borrow 1 leaving 20. Then you have 13-9= 4 or 24.

For multiplication I might have 9x6. Ok I don't remember that right off (RS math will work on multiplication facts through 10 x the number), so I do 9x3=18, twice would give me 9x6, so 18+18= add the 1's for 20, the 8's are 16 for a total of 36.

If you are working on a base 10 you only need to know you math facts 1-10, which is primarily what RS works on. It will work some specifically on other number combinations: 9, 11, 15 so far in level C. Once you were comfortable with the games, it wouldn't be too difficult to modify the games to cover 12, 13, 14, ect... as well, if that was important to you, but that is not its primary focus.

The other cautions I would give you is that the games are not flashy. They are basic, but usually there are several to choose from to give variety. The instructions in the RS manuals are better than what is in the card games manual (often it has more pictures), so if you have problems with one, by all means call the company and ask or ask a RS user.

If you go in with the right expectations, then yes it works very well. I have taken a whole month to just work on learning base math facts or to recognize quantities (so they can visualize numbers-all my kids think in pictures, so this was important). It then has made both or RS lessons and our Singapore lessons a lot easier.

Please ask questions if I haven't been clear.

Heather

Cyndi,

I had the same problem with my ds at the beginning of last year. I used the RS games a bit and they did help. They would have helped more if I got the chance to use them more. But I will say that the AL Abacus really did help. We learned how to add, carry, subtract and borrow on it and now he really has all that down. I'm thinking of getting the 'Activities for the Al Abacus' bk and maybe the workbk that goes along with it as a supplement. It might continue to help my ds if we learn how to use the abacus for mult, div, etc.

I really like manipulatives, especially those that can't spread all over the place! :D

Oh, one more thing. I recently bought the new DVD that demos the games. It's supposed to help us learn how to play more of the games without having to first read thru the bk (which has really slowed our use of the games). Now if I can just get my computer working enough to view this ...

hth

edited to add:

Another thing that tended to slow our use of the card games (besides learning the game in advance) was that we needed to gather the right cards for the specific game we wanted to play. There are different sets of cards but certain games only need some of them (so many 5s, so many 8s, etc.) Try to get it ready ahead of time (night before?) and all should run smoother.

Hey Cyndi!!

I'm looking forward to seeing you next week! I was hoping we would have a chance to catch up on math chat. But, I wanted to throw my $.02 your way since you posted. I completely understand your reluctance to switch programs after you just purchased CLE, but I started RightStart A with Briley a couple of months ago and I'm AMAZED with the program. In fact, I've been having Bricelyn work through level B lessons (approx. 3 per day) over the summer just to solidify those very important concepts. She's in Singapore 3a, but she LOVES the RightStart lessons & games, of course!

The games are wonderful, but I'd be surprised if you saw everything the RS curriculum has to offer and didn't feel a strong desire to switch. I'll throw my stuff in my bag and bring it along for your review! Looking forward to seeing you soon!! :)

I would be happy to bring my RS "stuff" to the practicum next week and let you look it over. I'd planned on bringing a couple of other things to share with you that *might* help Patrick. It seems you never know what will "click" with each child. Anyway....

Just wanted to toss out that the games in games book are divided by subject (addition, subtraction, etc.) and within that by order of presentation or as the concept develops. So if you start at the beginning of the addition section and work your way through, you'd be developing the concepts in the same way the RS curriculum levels would develop them. I agree with Linda though, that you might like to do even just level B alongside your CLE. It would help flesh the concepts out with manipulatives and let you see where it's going. The Activities for the ALAbacus book is the original form of the curriculum and shows how to present each concept. Levels A and B are my favorites though, so in your shoes I'd lean toward getting B and being done with it. CLE is going to provide lots of practice, but I don't see how it's going to be a big change conceptually. RS B is SO much fun, with plenty of hands-on, plenty of interaction, plenty of things that are age-appropriate (doing it with manipulatives rather than just two-dimensionally, just on paper). I'll bet your boy would love it! And it would give you a lot of tools for presentation (the abacus, the good manipulatives, etc.) that you could use going forward.

There's a real difference between understanding the concepts and having the facts become fast. If you were saying he can do the strategies (completing the 10, etc. for addition, etc.) but just wasn't fast with his facts, then more written work might do the trick. When even the concepts aren't clicking in his mind, then it's time for a new presentation method, something more hands-on, something that comes at it a different way. Then, when the concepts start to click, then you practice lots of ways (written, games, etc.) to get the fact recall to become more instantaneous. The games in the Games Book *are* in the conceptual order and *will* do that, if it makes sense to you. I'm just guessing for a lot of people, it will be more comfortable to just have the curriculum (look at level B) and have it all spelled out. Then when you look at the games book you'll recognize the concept and what they're trying to do in each game. It's all there, but I see that more easily having taught through the curriculum, kwim?

As far as whether the games will result in fast fact recall, well that's really going to depend on the kid. My dd always enjoyed the games, but the games are very auditory. With my visual learner, honestly, we had to go to lots and lots of written work. But we were beyond the conceptual stage and into the "time to just get these critters fast!" mode. You've already been doing a lot of written work with R&S and the concepts aren't even clicking. RS level B is SO much fun, so good for developing those concepts, it might be a really great change of pace for you. Then you can get into your CLE with new tools for visualization, new ways of thinking about it besides the flat problems on the paper, make sense? It's such a good thing with a 1st grader. Try it, RS B is FUN! :)