Menu

Question about getting a passport

I can't find the info I'm looking for online. Way back in the mid 90's I changed my last name to that of my step father who raised me. It was a simple matter to go to DMV and social security and change it. I didn't go though the courts. Now as a late 30 something adult still using that name I need to apply for a passport. How do I proceed? My birth cert and my drivers license/SS card don't match and I've never been married which would show a name change. I have no interest in going back to my much hated birth name and a name change though the courts will take 4-5 months which I don't have.

How in the world do I get a passport? I had a passport as a teen (issued when I was 15) under my birth name so they do have my prints on file to compare if that matters)

My best guess is that since you had a passport in the past under your birth name, that they will reissue your passport under that name.

Once you have a valid US passport (again), then the instructions at the bottom of this link probably apply.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/correcting/ChangeName/ChangeName_851.html

If you are close to a regional passport office, then I would get an appointment and take all the info for both renewing your expired passport and also doing the name change at one time. It's possible the agent will be able to make it work in one pass.

What did you show at the SS office when you changed your last name?

As far as I know, only way to change name on a passport, is marriage cert, divorce decree, other court doc showing reason for name change.

This happened before 9/11 and I only needed to show that my drivers licence had been changed to get my SS card changed. Don't remember what I had to show for the DL, I think it was a piece of mail or something, I was 18 and it was a long time ago.

My 26 year old daughter just went through trying to get a driver's license in a new state- her ss number and old driver's license is in one name but birth certificate in another. When she was young, she started using my last name and her school records, license, ss number all reflected that. College, too. But now she's moved to a different state and she actually had to go to court to change her name back- it was quite frustrating. They wouldn't license her in EITHER name- and a lawyer made some money helping her sort it out.

My 26 year old daughter just went through trying to get a driver's license in a new state- her ss number and old driver's license is in one name but birth certificate in another. When she was young, she started using my last name and her school records, license, ss number all reflected that. College, too. But now she's moved to a different state and she actually had to go to court to change her name back- it was quite frustrating. They wouldn't license her in EITHER name- and a lawyer made some money helping her sort it out.

No criminal problems though right? Were moving to another state in a couple weeks, not being able to get a DL wasn't even on my radar. How did they find out the name issue? Usually you only need to show your BC for your first drivers license.

No criminal problems at all, except while she was waiting for paperwork and court date to go through her original license expired so she was driving on an expired license for a couple months. Not ideal, but her lawyer knew and said under the circumstances that she was doing the best she could to fix it as soon as she could.

They found the name issue because the state she moved to wanted a birth certificate in addition to her current license- the name difference was obvious then. In our state you only need a birth certificate for a first license but some states are more enamored with unnecessary paperwork.g

No criminal problems at all, except while she was waiting for paperwork and court date to go through her original license expired so she was driving on an expired license for a couple months. Not ideal, but her lawyer knew and said under the circumstances that she was doing the best she could to fix it as soon as she could.

They found the name issue because the state she moved to wanted a birth certificate in addition to her current license- the name difference was obvious then. In our state you only need a birth certificate for a first license but some states are more enamored with unnecessary paperwork.g

Ok, I looked up the new state and they just need my current DL and SS card which match. A legal name change will take 6 weeks in the new state. Will call passport office tomorrow since I need it in a couple weeks.

The passport issue might be more tough than the DMV. They're trying to match identity with proof of citizenship. Before 9/11, a name discrepancy would be noted but they'd still do a passport. Now there is more scrutiny, and they may well say that since you have no proof that you legally changed your name, you have to use your birth name that is on your birth certificate and old passport.

It used to be so easy. My grandfather came into this country from Germany - he stole someone's identity and came in under another name, which he used for the rest of his life. That wouldn't fly today- and I'm surprised it did then since it was the early 1920's and he was from Germany.

Hope it goes smoothly for you!!

Just called the passport office and its actually pretty easy for me to get a passport. I just need to submit 3 public records showing I have been using this name for at least 5 years so school record, tax return, drivers license, ect. I can also get statements from 2 people (my parents) stating how long I have used the name. The public records will take the place of a court order, they said its pretty simple since I've been using it since high school. The problem comes in when its been a recent change without a court order.