Menu

Young Scientist Club/Science Kits

Anyone used Young Scientist Club? Something similair?

I am looking at different science kits for DS age 8. I am not even bothering with a textbook based curriculum again. DS learns by doing and past attempts with a textbook ended in disaster. I want something hands on but I am struggling to find something that will work for our family.

I am thinking of trying science kits such as Young Scientist Club or something since I can buy them on Amazon. I am reluctant because I have bought many different kits in the past but each time I run into the same problem. The kits all say “Everything you need, except common house hold itemsâ€. Inevitably “the common house hold items†are items that we do not have or do not have the right kind of. :glare: I have to make another trip to the store and spend more money on the "common house hold items" that I will never again use. Generally, by the time I buy the item(s) the kit is long gone or been opened and attempted and some vital piece is missing because someone thought it was trash or something. After 4 years of trying them every couple of months I have concluded that these types of kits just are not a good fit for our family and lifestyle.

YSC comes with everything, really, except common household items. I think over the course of two years we supplied water, a bowl, two small and one large soda bottles, the stove, and dirt.

HOWEVER, that said, we really did not enjoy the kits. The instructions truly need to be rewritten if your child is expected to have any sort of discovery instead of a demonstration. We much preferred kits from Steve Spangler Science (Wild Goose, I think?) and Thames & Cosmos - especially their Milestones Of Science, but that's meant more for middle school. We've also enjoyed kits from Lakeshore Learning, where everything is included in the box. They're more expensive, but sturdy.

If you want the best of both I'd say go with something like Noeo (uses living books), Moving Beyond The Page (has kits to go with their non-textbooky books), Nancy Larson (buy all at once), or Intellego (a combination computer and hands on learning)