Menu

Resume questions

I am trying to get my resume together to apply for some much needed PT work. I am not sure how to put everything on it correctly. I have not worked in 11 years, but am currently attending college so that is a little problem. Also, I have listed my previous job which I worked from 1998 to 2001. But from what i have been told you only need to include last 10 years. My main problem is that my last job was an assembler, but i have experience working in fast food, sales, housekeeping and inbound telemarketing. These jobs were in the 1990s and some of the companies are out of business.

My question is how do I include this experience?

TIA

Kate Wendleton's book "Packaging Yourself: the Targeted Resume" is excellent.

I highly recommend ordering it from Amazon if your library does not have it.

She offers valuable advice on how to do what you are asking, and how to write a resume for today's job market.

Use a skills-based resume format, instead of the traditional chronological format. Highlight the skills/experience you have that are relevant to the types of jobs you're applying for. This allows you to present your relevant knowledge and skills while de-emphasizing any gaps in employment.

ETA: I had initially posted a link but it appears to be broken. If you do a Google search on "skills-based resume format" you'll find plenty of examples you can use to format your resume.

Edited by Dandelion

i agree with dandelion. I would just ask your self what you consider the reasons someone might want to hire you and put that argument on there, succinctly and clearly. make it read really easily. assume the reader sees a lot of these and wants as much relevant information as quickly as possible. make the strongest information available as early as possible. you don't need to follow a rigid pattern for presenting information unless it is required or serves your interests. you need to make your case. then show it to a friend, especially one who has hiring experience, as I do. I was involved in hiring faculty almost every year for 30 years.

this is not always possible in a resume, but the basic rule in a business letter is the recipient may only read the first page, so make your point there if possible.

Edited by mathwonk