Menu

Would 'The Teenage Liberation Handbook' be good to give to a dropout?

My cousin is 18, and dropped out of school sophomore year after having a lot of trouble (this should have been his senior year). He is quite intelligent, but couldn't stand the school environment. He had been staying in school solely to play basketball, but either that fell through or he couldn't take it anymore. He left the fall semester of 10th grade, went back the spring semester and then dropped out for good. He is staying with his parents, as is his sixteen year old girlfriend, who dropped out this year (most of my relatives are of the opinion that she is better off out of her parents' house, though I am not sure of the details).

The odds of either of them going back seem slim at best. His gf seems to be something of a go-getter and both of them are willing to work. In fact, his gf was working to get my cousin a full-time job. I'm pretty sure that they consider education to be synonymous with school and school is a definite no-go now. Ever since my mom told me he had dropped out, I thought about sending him a copy of The Teenage Liberation Handbook. I want to encourage him to continue with his education, and that school isn't necessary to do it; I doubt he's ever thought of that.

But I haven't actually read it, and, while I'm sympathetic to unschooling, I'm not 100% gung-ho about aspects of it. And it will probably kill any remaining desire to go back to school (not that I think there is much left to begin with, but still).

Opinions?

I read this several years ago and yes, I think it would be very helpful. I remember not liking parts of it, but it is like a lot of books, you eat the meat and spit out the bones.

I think it would validate his feelings of not liking the school environment and also give him some ideas on how to further his own education sans school.

My cousin is 18, and dropped out of school sophomore year after having a lot of trouble (this should have been his senior year). He is quite intelligent, but couldn't stand the school environment. He had been staying in school solely to play basketball, but either that fell through or he couldn't take it anymore. He left the fall semester of 10th grade, went back the spring semester and then dropped out for good. He is staying with his parents, as is his sixteen year old girlfriend, who dropped out this year (most of my relatives are of the opinion that she is better off out of her parents' house, though I am not sure of the details).

The odds of either of them going back seem slim at best. His gf seems to be something of a go-getter and both of them are willing to work. In fact, his gf was working to get my cousin a full-time job. I'm pretty sure that they consider education to be synonymous with school and school is a definite no-go now. Ever since my mom told me he had dropped out, I thought about sending him a copy of The Teenage Liberation Handbook. I want to encourage him to continue with his education, and that school isn't necessary to do it; I doubt he's ever thought of that.

But I haven't actually read it, and, while I'm sympathetic to unschooling, I'm not 100% gung-ho about aspects of it. And it will probably kill any remaining desire to go back to school (not that I think there is much left to begin with, but still).

Opinions?

I think it is potentially a terrific resource for young people and parents. It is very empowering and -- well -- liberating! :D Really, given the circumstances, what have you got to lose. He's 18. Do you really think he's going to go back to school (in the traditional sense) now?

I agree. It really is a good book, even for us more "schoolish" inclined people to read. It certainly is liberating.

I intend to have my kids read parts of it in their mid teens, and if they really want to take hold of their own schooling with a passion and vision for themselves, i will happily let go of the reigns much more than i do now- I think the book is great for kids to be inspired as to their own potential, and confirms how school is not a healthy environment, for most kids, to really get inspired and excited about their life .