Menu

I've booked a holiday/vacation, now I'm going to bed

The other thing I found I needed (apart from some standardised testing for the boys, to set my mind at rest) was some idea of where I was going. I roughed out a view of 2008/9 (yes, next academic year) as far as travel, down time, holidays.... There's nothing that can be done about the rest of 2007/8 - we'll be travelling a lot and that's that.

I have next year planned so there are three whole blocks of time when we stay put for ten weeks! I can't tell you how delicious that sounds! And we will have a total of eight weeks in the year when we are not doing school and also not travelling. I just have to hold onto this goal now, and make 2008/9 a low travel, reduced stress year.

And I provisionally booked to go back in November to the place we visited in Northern Thailand last year. It was so relaxing - I can't wait.

Northern Thailand

Thanks for listening,

Laura

Laura, I've been wondering how your family has been doing with all those blizzards and train delays in China. Hopefully that hasn't impacted your area. Terrible! I can only imagine the plight of those travelers, waiting 5 days in cold rain to board a train home. So sad.

There are people stuck at our train station and airport, unable to go further, but the weather here is warm (8 degrees C this morning and sunny). There are bad conditions in this province, but just not here. My boys would like some snow though.....

DH is meant to be flying home for Chinese New Year on Thursday from Hong Kong. We have our fingers crossed.

Laura

And here I thought I was doing well because I planned this month's meals this morning. ;)

I did buy about three week's worth of frozen food and boxed milk, to last us while the shops are shut over Chinese New Year. And I vaguely know what I'm going to do with it.....

Laura

Laura,

We just got back from Thailand (south, in Phuket) and it was just the ticket for us, too. The constant gloom/fog/smog in Hong Kong was getting to us--we needed to see the sun!

I had never been to a blue-water destination resort, being the kind of person who prefers cities, museums, culture, and history. But you know what? I just discovered a new side of myself...one who can actually relax, read, and play in the very warm surf. Poor Wade...one more type of vacation he has to work into the schedule/budget!

about Standardized Testing to let your mind rest.

I am right there with you on that. In fact, I'm currently negotiating with our Minister of Education about having doing end of third grade assessments, although they aren't so thrilled about the idea.

What tests are you using?

T

Laura,

But you know what? I just discovered a new side of myself...one who can actually relax, read, and play in the very warm surf. Poor Wade...one more type of vacation he has to work into the schedule/budget!

I still haven't quite learned to enjoy beach holidays, but mountains.... definitely. A balcony, a gin and tonic and a book: relaxation.

Laura

What tests are you using?

T

They are only taken by each student every few years. It just so happens that my boys are the right ages for them this year. You can get practice tests with answers and marking rubrics, so I'll administer one of those myself.

Laura