Menu

Piano music question :)

Seeing the other posts on piano music made me wonder if you all could help me locate something.

My oldest is learning to play piano. Her teacher is actually a home-school teenager (we had been turned down by many other piano teachers). My oldest has autism and is significantly impaired.

We have letter tabs on the piano keys and she plays from music that also has letters above the notes. We're hoping that she'll eventually learn where the notes should be and we can remove the tabs.

If I'm looking online for music, would that be considered a certain type of music? I look at beginner and easy music, but that doesn't always have the letters on them. It's over an hour to a piano store, so I'd rather not go anywhere to look.

The Bastein piano basics PRIMER level has the notes written.

In the very beginning they use the finger number. That is for the first several pages. Then they introduce the octaves and replace the numbers with the notes.

Are you doing some theory as well? You can also get flash cards.

Seeing the other posts on piano music made me wonder if you all could help me locate something.

My oldest is learning to play piano. Her teacher is actually a home-school teenager (we had been turned down by many other piano teachers). My oldest has autism and is significantly impaired.

We have letter tabs on the piano keys and she plays from music that also has letters above the notes. We're hoping that she'll eventually learn where the notes should be and we can remove the tabs.

If I'm looking online for music, would that be considered a certain type of music? I look at beginner and easy music, but that doesn't always have the letters on them. It's over an hour to a piano store, so I'd rather not go anywhere to look.

My kids participated in a program that used symbols to help the kids match up the keys with the notes. Honestly, I felt that only slowed them down. They learned how to match the symbols, but never paid a lick of attention to the notes on the staff nor the position of the keys. If this was supposed to be a "transitional" step, it made no sense as it added an extra step to an already complex process. My eldest had vision issues and it would have taken her forever to go through "focus on the symbol, find the matching symbol, associate the symbol with the note, associate the symbol with the key, associate the note with the key." So I asked the teacher to stop that once they started individual lessons.

I understand that your daughter learns differently, so I don't know how that would work for you, or even what your specific goal is. Good luck finding something that helps!

The Bastein piano basics PRIMER level has the notes written.

In the very beginning they use the finger number. That is for the first several pages. Then they introduce the octaves and replace the numbers with the notes.

Are you doing some theory as well? You can also get flash cards.

We're not doing theory with her. My other daughter is also taking piano (and doing extremely well) and she does theory.

Actually I just dug my copy out. The notes are only written in part of the book.

I think it would just be as easy to write in some of them. It might help to write say, the C and E under the first time those notes appear, and then maybe every other measure or something like that.

My kids participated in a program that used symbols to help the kids match up the keys with the notes. Honestly, I felt that only slowed them down. They learned how to match the symbols, but never paid a lick of attention to the notes on the staff nor the position of the keys. If this was supposed to be a "transitional" step, it made no sense as it added an extra step to an already complex process. My eldest had vision issues and it would have taken her forever to go through "focus on the symbol, find the matching symbol, associate the symbol with the note, associate the symbol with the key, associate the note with the key." So I asked the teacher to stop that once they started individual lessons.

I understand that your daughter learns differently, so I don't know how that would work for you, or even what your specific goal is. Good luck finding something that helps!

Our goal is to move her off of the prompts at some point. For now, she's learning one song (for daily practice) and we're going to see if her fingers learn the notes (if that makes sense). She's playing "My Favorite Things" as she is hyper-focused on The Sound of Music right now.

She definitely needs it right now, but I'm hopeful that we can eventually remove them. We tried taking off one of them and she paused a bit but eventually realized that it was the right note. She just started playing so we'll see how it goes. :)

Actually I just dug my copy out. The notes are only written in part of the book.

I think it would just be as easy to write in some of them. It might help to write say, the C and E under the first time those notes appear, and then maybe every other measure or something like that.

That's a good idea (and I'm not sure why I didn't think about doing that). I don't play, but my other daughter could fill them in for her.

I don't know, but you could always write the letters above or below the notes yourself. In the beginning of violin I did that a bit. I no longer need to, but yeah it's easy enough to just pencil them in.

Oops, I just noticed that you had replied as well. Yes, I hadn't thought about doing that actually. I'm not sure why it didn't occur to me. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

Our goal is to move her off of the prompts at some point. For now, she's learning one song (for daily practice) and we're going to see if her fingers learn the notes (if that makes sense). She's playing "My Favorite Things" as she is hyper-focused on The Sound of Music right now.

She definitely needs it right now, but I'm hopeful that we can eventually remove them. We tried taking off one of them and she paused a bit but eventually realized that it was the right note. She just started playing so we'll see how it goes. :)

Just remembered. We have a book in a series called "EZ Play Today" / CD Play-Along by Williamson Music. Volume 8, "The Sound of Music." It is a very easy book of songs with just one note at at a time, on the treble clef. Each note has the letter name in the middle of the circle. It contains all the songs from Sound of Music. (It also has guitar chords written above, which could be a bit confusing, but you could white them out.) It also comes with a CD to hear how it's supposed to sound.

I never did use it with my kids but it might be perfect for you daughter.