Menu

Dr Hive--take son in or not?

My son had a mild cold a bit over two weeks ago. The virus ended with a cough as the same illness did for me. I've still got a slight cough three weeks out in fact.

Unlike me his cough got worse last week (junkier). Junky coughs, though, aren't unusual for him and from what I can tell not particularly unusual in the later course of a virus.

Friday evening--developed a mid range (102.6 at max when I gave him ibuprofen) fever. No pain, no trouble breathing--just that junky cough and fever.

Saturday--fevers got higher and were often upper 103's. When his fever reached 104 I called the on call doctor worried about secondary infections. The on call doctor said as long as he was breathing well and not complaining of pain and the fever was going down with ibuprofen (it was/we can't alternate tylenol with him though) we could wait it out. She said it could just be a left over cough and also another virus starting.

Sunday--lower fevers (101-102.6 at max) and he seemed to feel better and was playing/acting himself.

Monday--morning fever of 99.9! By afternoon we were at 100.6 and then 101.7 by evening. In the evening his cough changed--deeper, more frequent, less productive sounding but worse if that makes sense.

Last night was rough with the cough. He wasn't struggling to breath or wheezing but it just sounded so yucky and so frequent that it concerned me. I gave him his brother's inhaler which didn't help. His fever throughout the night stayed low grade (100.6 ish)--no spikes.

Today--fever is as low as it has been since this started in the morning (was 99 when he woke up). He still has that deeper sounding cough. It's more frequent than yesterday morning but less frequent than last night. ETA: he got a progressively higher fever--peaked at 103.6 when I gave him ibuprofen. He was acting like he felt well until this evening. He's had chills. Urgent care is closed.

Advice?? If this was pneumonia would he have breathing difficulty or pain? That's what I understood from the doctor on call--that I would see more if it was a secondary infection.

Edited by sbgrace

It sounds to me like he picked something new up while recovering from the first cold. I would watch him closely, but probably not take him in unless he gets worse. If you're really worried, call and tell them what has been going on and ask them what their advice is about come in or not.

His fever spiked back up to 103.6 tonight (day 5). It's at 101.6 with Ibuprofen now. He's acting miserable but I'm sure the fever has something to do with it.

So, continued high fevers and worsening cough now. I wish I had taken him in today I think. I probably will tomorrow but I'm guessing he'll wake up ok and then go downhill late afternoon/evening if the pattern continues.

Does this sound like just another virus or a secondary infection like pneumonia?

His fever spiked back up to 103.6 tonight (day 5). It's at 101.6 with Ibuprofen now. He's acting miserable but I'm sure the fever has something to do with it.

So, continued high fevers and worsening cough now. I wish I had taken him in today I think. I probably will tomorrow but I'm guessing he'll wake up ok and then go downhill late afternoon/evening if the pattern continues.

Does this sound like just another virus or a secondary infection like pneumonia?

I would go in. My 3 year old did this and she had developed bronchitis and pneumonia while trying to get over her respiratory infection. I'm not one to rush to the dr but I'm glad I went. She needed a few days of steroids, antibiotics, and breathing treatments. The meds kicked her sickness quickly though.

I would definitely bring him in now. Even if he doesn't need antibiotics may be they can give him a prescription to help with coughing so he can get some rest. My son has been sick for 7 full days now with coughing and fever. Sounds similar to your son. I did take him in yesterday and the coughing is coming from drainage not his chest and has an upper respiratory infection. Started antibiotics yesterday and my ds is finally starting to feel better but still has fever.

Hope your ds feels better soon!

Use in NC

Edited by speedmom4
Typo