Menu

LoF Physics

Is anyone using Life of Fred Physics in the order recommended by the author?

My children have LOVED LoF but the two who are currently using Physics are not enjoying it. Has anyone had a similar experience? We use LoF as a supplement, fun math. BUT...Physics is not proving to be enjoyable. Any suggestions? Do you think that we should try Pre-Algebra? My girls are also using CLE 6th and 7th grade.

Thanks so much for your help,

Michele

We tried it. Frankly, I'm not sure why he recommends it before prealgebra.

Aimee, did you switch to pre algebra? Did you just drop it? My girls LOVE Fred but when the highly math intuitive child complains about HATING Fred....Fred has been the dangled carrot for completing school for the past few years. This is so unexpected!!!

My children have LOVED LoF but the two who are currently using Physics are not enjoying it.

What is it that they don't like about it? My older is doing Prealg 1, and I was considering slipping Physics in between the Prealg books but hadn't decided yet. Flipping through, it looks a lot like the Prealg books, so I wonder if doing all 3 will be overkill.

What is it that they don't like about it? My older is doing Prealg 1, and I was considering slipping Physics in between the Prealg books but hadn't decided yet. Flipping through, it looks a lot like the Prealg books, so I wonder if doing all 3 will be overkill.

Well...the Seventh grader said that it's "OK, just not fun. More like an extra Physics course." The Sixth grader said "LoF is usually fun. Sometimes the questions don't make a lot of sense but they're funny (I call them Fred questions). Physics is FILLED with Fred questions. I don't understand why this is math. Is this math? This is Physics and I'm learning about Chemistry. I'm confused and...I miss math."

Aimee, did you switch to pre algebra? Did you just drop it? My girls LOVE Fred but when the highly math intuitive child complains about HATING Fred....Fred has been the dangled carrot for completing school for the past few years. This is so unexpected!!!

We are already doing pre-algebra (a la MM6, HOE, and DragonBox) but needing to apply so much math to science (and she LOVES science) only frustrated her. She isn't a fan of LOF *math* in general, so take what I say with a grain of salt. LOF Physics was described (I thought) as a science book - it comes off to me as a rather dull science book that requires quite a bit of math. I just don't understand his sequence in recommending it before pre-algebra.

We'll pick it back up over the summer - when she finishes pre algebra.

We use LoF as our main math with very little supplementation. My son is not at all mathy. He did pretty well with both pre-algebra LoF books and is really struggling with LoF Physics. The physics is THERE in a way the biology and economics was jut sort of a flavor for the math.

I am glad we are doing it but I am also glad it happened to be released after the pre-algebra books. I suspect that this book would have killed his interest in physics if he had tried it any earlier.

• 2 months later...