Menu

If you are using WRTR for Kindergarten....

rachelpants

If you are using WRTR for Kindergarten do you take the time for "Delivering Integrated Writing Instruction"? Do I need to worry about any of the vocabulary, grammar, etc? I'm also wondering about the "Reading Lesson". Do I need to be teaching what a narrative is, setting, plot, declarative sentence?

We have been just working on phonograms and handwriting thus far, reading lots of great books doing fun little activities (mostly FIAR). I opened up the WRTR again today...and now I'm feeling guilty for not being more scholarly with my kindergartner....lol. He just turned 6 and could probably handle the information. However, I'm not sold on wanting to teach it yet. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed as it is trying to figure out homeschooling in general. Will I regret not starting the "Writing Lesson" and the "Reading Lesson" this year?

I've opened up the Kindergarten Teacher's Guide...shuddered...and closed it 5 times today...lol. Day 1 Lesson Plan from the TG.

For example (from the TG) the "Writing Lesson for Day 1":

Oral Sentence Construction with Vocabulary Development (SCV)

1. Explain the use of me, do, and, go, at in oral sentences (M/CK/C: WRTR).

2. Explain that at shows a relationship between the word that follows it and another word in

the sentence (M/CK/C: WRTR).

3. Use me, do, and, go, at in oral sentences, e.g., “The children are at school.” (M/CK/C:

WRTR).

4. Look at alphabet letter strips and say each lower case letter name a, b, c, d, e (M/CK/C).

If my DS correctly uses these words (me, do and, go, at) daily, do I need to explain their use? Things like declarative sentences come in the TG around week 5 in the Writing Lesson, Week 17 covers helping verbs. eew....I don't want to introduce grammar yet...LOL.:auto:

I haven't researched writing curriculum yet, but in the back of my head I was thinking that we could start something like MCT or WWE next year for 1st grade. Any thoughts??

Thanks!

Edited by rachelpants

I used WRTR without the Teacher’s Guide for preschool and then again at the end of Kindergarten (and we’re still using it).

If you are using WRTR for Kindergarten do you take the time for "Delivering Integrated Writing Instruction"? Do I need to worry about any of the vocabulary, grammar, etc? I'm also wondering about the "Reading Lesson". Do I need to be teaching what a narrative is, setting, plot, declarative sentence?

Will I regret not starting the "Writing Lesson" and the "Reading Lesson" this year?

If my DS correctly uses these words (me, do and, go, at) daily, do I need to explain their use? Things like declarative sentences come in the TG around week 5 in the Writing Lesson, Week 17 covers helping verbs. eew....I don't want to introduce grammar yet...LOL.

I did introduce writing the way the manual said to, but I generally didn’t use the terminology (e.g. "write a sentence asking something" instead "interrogative sentence"" I also used Richard Scarry’s Storybook Dictionary for word usage, it has most, though not all, of the A-G words.

I haven't researched writing curriculum yet, but in the back of my head I was thinking that we could start something like MCT or WWE next year for 1st grade. Any thoughts??

At the end of Kindergarten I found Language Lessons through Literature, (review here)which is like WWE and FLL with a read aloud list thrown in (and more writing and less grammar). I used it as a supplement and to teach those definitions I left out initially, and seems to have worked fine.

We have been just working on phonograms and handwriting thus far, reading lots of great books doing fun little activities (mostly FIAR). I opened up the WRTR again today...and now I'm feeling guilty for not being more scholarly with my kindergartner....lol. He just turned 6 and could probably handle the information. However, I'm not sold on wanting to teach it yet. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed as it is trying to figure out homeschooling in general. Will I regret not starting the "Writing Lesson" and the "Reading Lesson" this year?

I've opened up the Kindergarten Teacher's Guide...shuddered...and closed it 5 times today...lol. Day 1 Lesson Plan from the TG.

For example (from the TG) the "Writing Lesson for Day 1":

If my DS correctly uses these words (me, do and, go, at) daily, do I need to explain their use? Things like declarative sentences come in the TG around week 5 in the Writing Lesson, Week 17 covers helping verbs. eew....I don't want to introduce grammar yet...LOL.:auto:

Thanks!

If I were doing Spalding with a 5yo, I'd only be using the manual (WRTR) and the flash cards. I would NOT be worrying about the writing and grammar and all that stuff.

IOW, I wouldn't worry about being scholarly with a 5yo. :)

I'm starting Spalding next week and I plan to use the manual and phonogram cards. I do not plan to use Spalding for grammar or writing, and I don't think we're ready for either at this point. It will be phonics/spelling/handwriting for us.

That's what the majority of homeschoolers do (although they may do a little writing by having the dc use their spelling words in sentences).