Menu

Ancients :: HO2 or BF intermediate?

Which one of these would you recommend? I do like the organized look of the HO2 but I have a feeling that BF would be more popular here as it looks like there is less workbook style material and it is lit based which I have found to be more accessible with strong readers.

That said my concern with BF is that it is overly Christian in content. I don't mind using the Bible as one historical view point among many but I'm not interested in navigating a solely/overly Christian theme throughout the curriculum. Any recs or experience with either of these currics?

History Odyssey is wonderful, and I would call it literature based. Although there are only 3-5 books actually assigned directly in the curriculum for ancients, there is a list of additional literature you are encouraged to pull from at your discretion to enhance the reading about each section. My son will always have additional history reading going on in addition to the assigned materials, many of which are pulled from their selections. DS11's test scores place him at post-high-school, and I would concur with that assessment; I would call him a strong reader.

I don't get a workbooky feel from HO. It does begin gently, as it is aimed at the younger end of the logic stage group (each time period ramps up the work level a bit-- deeper outlines, literature interpretation guides and responses, more research writing and longer essays, etc). Although at first it may seem a bit simple or annoying... list these people and write one sentence about what each one did... these types of things are actually good note taking and study skills to develop.

Reading about things is great, and should be heavily emphasized in history. History Odyssey accomplishes this goal beautifully. Discussing ideas and looking at different points of view in history is also of great value. By using varied materials (Kingfisher, TSOM, many of us add in K12 Human Odyssey, and a wealth of literature, plus the History magazines and library research) HO accomplishes this as well. I believe that including sequentially developed study, outlining, research, and writing skills makes History Odyssey a very well-developed program that can be used as-is or supplemented by the parent very easily.

I am still baffled by the need for it, as it makes no sense to me, but apparently there was high enough demand that you can now even buy parent TM's for HO. Perhaps they have even more ideas for discussion and reading? Perhaps someone who has used them could chime in on that.

Thanks, NJ this is a great overview. It does sound appealing when presented this way. I guess my concerns stem from the fact that SOTW with all its narration, copywork, mapwork and content questions almost squelched dc's interest in history where previously it was strong. I decided to take a different tack, reading lots and discussing while following a few rabbit trails and things got interesting again yet no less rigorous.

The BF samples look less busy-workish than HO but that could just be the particular samples they have shared.

Anyone else?

I hear your concerns, and I am admittedly unfamiliar with BF. I avoided the SOTW activity guide-- I spent a few hours sitting in Barnes and Noble leafing through it, and just thought, "I can see this for some kids, maybe, but not for mine."

I'm also a tweaker-- I feel completely free to leave out something in any program that doesn't work for me, and to add in what does work for me, at any time. So what works well for me, may well not work for another family simply because our styles are different, and what turns on my kids could be different from what excites other kids.

Thanks, NJ this is a great overview. It does sound appealing when presented this way. I guess my concerns stem from the fact that SOTW with all its narration, copywork, mapwork and content questions almost squelched dc's interest in history where previously it was strong. I decided to take a different tack, reading lots and discussing while following a few rabbit trails and things got interesting again yet no less rigorous.

The BF samples look less busy-workish than HO but that could just be the particular samples they have shared.

Anyone else?

One thing that everyone points out with HO is not to do EVERYTHING. So, if you are a compulsive box-checker (and not a tweaker like NJ & I), HO might not be for you.

My oldest is working through HO Level 2 Ancients this year. She's definitely learned quite a bit & is passionate about some rather, er, INTERESTING things (like ziggurats, for example). However, I'm a huge tweaker & completely re-wrote the lesson plans (different spines, for example & added some books from CHOLL). She dislikes the writing, but it is gently teaching her to outline and write summaries. The jury is still out for long-term, but I like it so far.

BF looks to have a few more books (and offers more discussion questions for them) but definitely integrates the Bible rather largely into the study (at least in the sample).

I've never done BF Ancients Intermediate. We did BF History of Science last year. There was a lot of "notebook" work: writing where they didn't teach you how to write the summaries or biographies. They just told you to do it. I didn't see that in the sample shown, so someone who has used it would have to chime in.

Well there you have it, two completely different opinions on the same curriculum :)

Thank you, ladies, I do appreciate everyone's responses. Seems like BF is the less popular/common choice as no one has responded who uses it. But HO2 sounds like it will depend on the dc.

We're currently using HO Ancients level 2 and don't find it boring at all. I did replace the spine though, with Human Odyssey Vol 1. I love this book! Love, love, love! It's so interesting and written in a manner that makes you want to keep reading. Before we started this year, I was flipping through it and ended up reading 4 chapters before I realized it. I had to stop myself so I wouldn't be reading things over. I have a schedule that matches Hist. Ody 2 with Hum Ody, vol 1 if you're interested. Of course the chapters don't match up in perfect order so you can either do Hum Ody in order and Hist Ody out of order, or Hist Ody in order and Hum Ody out of order. I found it easier to do Hist Ody in order and read the chapters in the book that correspond with the lessons. I'm a tweaker too, so I add and take stuff away as I feel the need. There are only a few "required" books in HO, but I've pulled tons of other books to correspond with our studies. Indy has to read 25 books this year (very ambitious considering he's dyslexic) and so far he's read a book about pre-historic people (The Boy in the Painted Cave), and 3 about Egypt (with a few more to go). I've got some fiction lined up for each of the cultures we'll study (I'm still looking for some on India). We've used Hist Ody in the past and I really like it. It's well laid out and easy to tweak if you want and can be entirely secular, which was one of the big draws for me. It touches on all the religions, but doesn't treat one as fact while all others are fiction. HTH.

However, I'm a huge tweaker & completely re-wrote the lesson plans (different spines, for example & added some books from CHOLL).

Look at K12 Human Odyssey.

We're currently using HO Ancients level 2 and don't find it boring at all. I did replace the spine though, with Human Odyssey Vol 1. I love this book! Love, love, love!

Perhaps there aren't two different opinions ... do you see the reoccurring theme here?

Yes, I have to say that I'm intrigued by Human Odyssey. Is that what you mean RootAnn? I know it gets rave reviews here and I do like the summaries and reviews I've read elsewhere. I'm beginning to think that it's a must have for whatever curric. I choose.

RA how are you liking CHOLL?

MIHH thanks for your input. It's great to hear everyone's experiences with what they're using.

I'm a fan of CHOLL (FREE!) in general, but I don't use it "as written." (I'm a tweaker.)

Because I have younger kids doing SOTW, CHOLL helps me find good read alouds for the whole family, additional books that I've added to my oldest's list with HO, dictation for oldest, and activities for the younger & older crowds.