Menu

Flip Ultra HD camera ? - Tripod?

My ds has been borrowing a Flip Ultra HD camera from a friend for entirely too long. We would like to purchase one and use it to record piano recitals, etc. He likes this particular camera because of its ease in putting things on the computer. He is used to working with it having borrowed his friend's so many times. :tongue_smilie: However, I would like to be able to set it up on a tripod for recital recordings for steadiness. Plus, ds currently has a 30-minute long piano program which is just too dang long to try to hold a camera. However, the tripod I see for the flip camera is only like 5 or 7 inches tall? I don't know anything about setting up cameras or tripods. Would any old tripod work or does it need to be Flip Ultra HD specific? If the latter, do they make a tall tripod? Am I just going to have to find something tall to set it on? Like what? I plant stand? Sorry, I am tripod challenged. Any advice for me?

Thanks.

I've seen people use regular tripods with their Flips. We have a flip but I mostly use it for little videos of dd. I don't think we've ever used ours with our tripod but I believe it does work. It has the same connector piece as our DSLR does.

I don't know about the flip camera specifically, but the way tripods work for a regular camera is they have a plate that screws into some threads on the bottom of the camera. The plate then connects to the tripod. I would see if the description allows that sort of thing.

Last year for a gift we gave my sister a new camcorder- we found some on Amazon that cost less than the flip and had better reviews. You might look into other models before settling on the Flip.

Have you thought about an iPhone? We used to own a Flip, but when we got the last iPhone (not the one that just came out, the one before), we found that it was easier to use, took better pictures and video, was easier to upload, and the video software was better. You can edit the video quickly on your phone, or do more extensive editing on the computer. Not sure about the tripod for either. My dh is a photographer and we have to attach something to the camera body to attach it to the tripod, a metal contraption that screws on.