Menu

Still need help with LOE

BatmansWife

Ok, I've been using LoE with my dd (who just turned 9 last week) for about 3 weeks now. She loves it....I like it. She credits LoE with her finally learning to love cursive (so I'm very happy about that).

I guess, I'm not really sure how to schedule this. I thought I read that they suggested one lesson a week. Like most people....we have a busy schedule, and I was doing LoE 3 times a week. Each lesson has 3 parts...so that was perfect, we were doing a "part" each of those days. Well, we just hit lesson 4, and part one is 7 pages long! OK...now I'm thinking we need to split these parts up.

Also, in lesson 3 they introduce 4 new phonograms: er, or, ea, sh. There's really not a whole lot of work (or discussion) with these phonograms. Then for the spelling test (each test has 15 words...which I'm thinkin' is kind of a lot, isn't it??), they throw in the word "bread". :001_huh: Now, earlier she learned that when two vowels go walking the first does the talking and says its long name. So, this is a rule breaker for that (isn't it??). But, they don't discuss this at all (unless I'm not seeing it). :confused:

The "two vowels go walking" isn't really a "rule". In fact, it's wrong most of the time. You teach "ea" like all the other phonograms, in that it has more than one sound e (as in beach) eh (as in bread) and a (as in steak).... so on beach, you underline the "ea" and ALSO write a 2 over it to show it is the second sound. Lesson 4 goes over ea's third sound more in depth.

As for lesson 4- we took a longer time on it because of the exploration of the "a" (ai, ay, a, ea), I think we took a week for part one (3 days) and then 3 days for 1. introducing spelling list, 2. practicing spelling list, 3. grammar

We basically just do as much as we can, until it's no longer clicking. I leave a sticky note on the page we are on. Sometimes we repeat sections to help them click. I HAD a schedule, but now we just do what we do :001_smile:

Also, in lesson 3 they introduce 4 new phonograms: er, or, ea, sh. There's really not a whole lot of work (or discussion) with these phonograms. Then for the spelling test (each test has 15 words...which I'm thinkin' is kind of a lot, isn't it??), they throw in the word "bread". :001_huh: Now, earlier she learned that when two vowels go walking the first does the talking and says its long name. So, this is a rule breaker for that (isn't it??). But, they don't discuss this at all (unless I'm not seeing it). :confused:

LoE does not teach "vowels go walking" so I'm not quite sure what you mean by she learned earlier. Are you using the phonogram cards? When we learn -ea, we learn that it makes several sounds.

The "two vowels go walking" isn't really a "rule". In fact, it's wrong most of the time. You teach "ea" like all the other phonograms, in that it has more than one sound e (as in beach) eh (as in bread) and a (as in steak).... so on beach, you underline the "ea" and ALSO write a 2 over it to show it is the second sound. Lesson 4 goes over ea's third sound more in depth.

As for lesson 4- we took a longer time on it because of the exploration of the "a" (ai, ay, a, ea), I think we took a week for part one (3 days) and then 3 days for 1. introducing spelling list, 2. practicing spelling list, 3. grammar

We basically just do as much as we can, until it's no longer clicking. I leave a sticky note on the page we are on. Sometimes we repeat sections to help them click. I HAD a schedule, but now we just do what we do :001_smile:

Thanks so much for your suggestions. I must have skipped the part where we underline the ea and mark it with a 2. :001_huh: I'll look over that lesson again, maybe we'll repeat some of it and take everything a little slower. We'll keep pluggin' away at it. Sometimes I need reminders that it's ok to take things slower...if it takes us 2 years (or whatever) to finish this instead of 1...it's fine.

LoE does not teach "vowels go walking" so I'm not quite sure what you mean by she learned earlier. Are you using the phonogram cards? When we learn -ea, we learn that it makes several sounds.

You are right. I was thinking it was LoE....but I remember now that it was LLATL. We were using both programs together, but now we ditched LLATL because dd hated it so much. They taught that in lesson 1 under Phonics Facts. It's: When two vowels go walking, the first one usually does the talking and says his long name". At least they said "usually".

The "how to mark the word" is on the spelling list table :) and each word has an explanation including rules and what not for why it is spelled that way.

I'd really recommend watching this short-ish video on how to

to help you with the putting of things together and how to explain them to your daughter. There is a huge method to the madness here that makes the program so good!

Denise also just put out huge teacher training videos, for free on youtube- if you like the dictation one, the full training could be awesome for you!

HTH!

The "how to mark the word" is on the spelling list table :) and each word has an explanation including rules and what not for why it is spelled that way.

I'd really recommend watching this short-ish video on how to

to help you with the putting of things together and how to explain them to your daughter. There is a huge method to the madness here that makes the program so good!

Denise also just put out huge teacher training videos, for free on youtube- if you like the dictation one, the full training could be awesome for you!

HTH!

Today we went back to spelling list 2 and 3 and had her mark the words according to that table. When I was following part 1, 2 and 3 each time....it usually had them spell the words, then another part had them make them plural, then another time mark them N or Adj. I never saw when it said to mark them the other ways (underline, put numbers above, etc)....I ended up kind of forgetting about that part. So, now we are back on track and I reviewed with her the 3 sounds of ea. Thank you for reminding me about the videos. I completely forgot about them and I haven't watched any. I'm sure they'll be very helpful. Thank you again!