Menu

AAR1 for a child that is already reading?

airforcefamily

I'm having trouble finding information on all about reading levels. Our almost seven year old can read simple books already but I feel would benefit from a reading program.

A sentence he could read would be: 'Did the children go to the park today?'. He might possibly need to pause and sound out the word children. A sentence that would be too difficult would be: 'Everyone is going to the amusement park after the afternoon concert'.

He is using FLL1 and WWE1. No problems with either and except for getting tired writing out all the copy work (he likes to make it look really good) breezes through the lessons.

He is already past AAR 1. My son is doing AAR 1 and in the first couple of lessons we've worked on the sounds of about 8 letters and about 15 simple, 3-letter words, like jam, nap, and mat. In the workbook, his exercises so far have been to label four pictures with the proper names (bat, etc) and to use ice cream scoops to match up rhyming words, like mat and sat, or tab and jab.

I really like AAR 1 but I honestly think your son would quickly become very bored.

You don't have to start with Level 1 unless that's where your son places. Level 1 of All About Reading covers CVC words, consonant blends, short open-vowel words, and short-vowel compound words. Here's the placement test. You can also see a complete listing of the words taught in this level near the back of the sample Teacher’s Manual.

Level 2 covers 3-letter blends; two-syllable words with open and closed syllables – hotel; vowel-consonant-E pattern words; VCE syllable combined with closed syllables – reptile; contractions; r-controlled words – her, car, and corn; soft c and g – face, page; past tense – hugged; vowel teams oi, oy, au, aw, ou, ow, oe, and ee; y in shy; wh in wheel; i and o can be long before two consonants (ex: ild, old, ost) – most; silent e after u or v – have; and the third sound of a – all. It includes two and three syllable words such as pullover, outnumber, sandpaper, saucepan, and invoice, etc… The samples for Level 2 are on this page.

HTH some! Merry :-)

Would using both be redundant?

I am using AAR 2 (JUST got it in the mail today) and AAS.

AAR approaches from a decoding for reading stance, while AAS is rules for spelling. AAR is probably easier to move faster through, but they don't mean to line up.

What grade level will you be using level 2 for? (If you don't mind my asking) After looking at the links posted earlier (thank you to the person who posted them!) I'm still not sure if level 1 would be worthwhile. Some of the things later in the book might not be new but would be beneficial in developing reading fluency. However, I don't want another too easy program as he needs to be learning new things.

What grade level will you be using level 2 for? (If you don't mind my asking) After looking at the links posted earlier (thank you to the person who posted them!) I'm still not sure if level 1 would be worthwhile. Some of the things later in the book might not be new but would be beneficial in developing reading fluency. However, I don't want another too easy program as he needs to be learning new things.

DD is 6, so 1st I guess. She's all over the map in ability.