Menu

Things to do in Chesapeake, VA in December

Haha that's harder! We just moved here (although we did live here 4 years ago) and so my brain is swarming with things to do with the kids.

If you're out by Greenbriar there's a Cinema Cafe that's fun, they're all older movies if memory serves, but it was still a fun experience. There's always the oceanfront if you're up for a bit of a drive depending on where you'll be, it will be cold, but it's usually pretty empty and you can probably still rent bikes to ride up and down the boardwalk. The museums in downtown Norfolk are really nice, and there's always the zoo, they used to do something special around Christmas, not sure if they do or not. Before kids, DH and I used to enjoy going to see the local minor league hockey team play. There are also all the standard things, restaurants, bowling, movies.

Go to Norfolk botanical garden for the holiday lights. Founders inn has stuff going on. Eat seafood in Virgnia beach. Chesapeake itself I don't know... Check the city site.

The Botanical Garden sounds great!

I was also looking at something else near Chesapeake but completely forgot what it was called. The people dressed up like they dressed during the Civil War (I think) and you watched them do things someone in those times would do. They had a special exhibit for the Christmas season. I'll have to find it again.

I hate to say it but in Chesapeake specifically, not a lot. Most tourist attractions are in VA Beach or Norfolk, which aren't to far, but the drive can stink. That's because traffic is always bad on I64 down here. I know there is the Chrysler art museum downtown Norfolk. I think McArthur Center (the big mall downtown) has an indoor ice skating rink.

We lived there a long time ago, there is a marine science place we really liked. I think it was on the south end of Virginia Beach. We liked Chesapeake Park, National Seashore State Park, Sandbridge Beach, the Virginia Beach beachfront.

Edited by Susan C.