Menu

What grammar am I looking for?

lotsofpumpkins

I'm already thinking ahead to next year; I'm not switching what we are using now. I'm just trying to figure out our ideal grammar program!

We used R&S for 3 years. I like that it's thorough, non-consumable, and inexpensive. However, I got tired of having to weed through the TM and text and figure out exactly how much of the written exercises to assign my dc, and how much to do orally. I also felt guilty for skipping the oral drill. So, this year we are using Climbing to Good English (4th and 5th grade). At first I really loved it; it's straight-forward, open-and-go, and also very inexpensive. This is going to sound really dumb, but as time has gone on, I'm getting very tired of the font, especially when I use my TMs to grade their work. My 4th grader doesn't complain much, but he has noticed that even with this workbook program he is doing MUCH more writing than I assigned with R&S last year. So, I realized that a workbook program does not necessarily mean less writing for my somewhat writing-phobic ds! But since it's a workbook, I feel wasteful if I don't make them do everything.

I'm researching grammar and writing programs for next year. I'll have 6th, 5th, 3rd, and 1st/2nd graders (my 4th-born will be officially in 1st, but will be doing mostly 2nd grade level work by then). I still have R&S 2-5 in a box; I haven't been able to bring myself to sell them. But I'm not sure if that's what I want to use. Using CTGE showed me that R&S is VERY wordy!

Here's what I'm looking for:

*Affordable

*Very open-and-go

*Can be done mostly independently 3rd grade and up

*Nonconsumable is a plus but not required

*Homeschool-friendly

*Thorough (doesn't need supplementation)

*Pleasing font (not required but would be nice!)

*To-the-point explanations

Besides R&S and CTGE, what other programs should I take a look at? I've been thinking maybe I'll just end up back with R&S and deal with the issues I have with it, but I'm not sure. Oh, and whatever program I use next year has to have diagramming. My 5th grader is quite upset that CTGE5 has not required her to do any diagramming yet this year. I'm sure it's coming, but so far she hasn't had to do any.

Anyway, thanks for recommendations you can give me. :001_smile:

Edited by lotsofpumpkins

I think you just described Galore Park Junior English Books 1 and 2. I have my oldest, ds9, do this independently as a supplement to Intermediate Language Lessons. GP is British, but don't let that deter you. It truly is a great little program. You could have your dc do 1 or 2 activities a day.

Here's what I'm looking for:

*Affordable

*Very open-and-go

*Can be done mostly independently 3rd grade and up

*Nonconsumable is a plus but not required

*Homeschool-friendly

*Thorough (doesn't need supplementation)

*Pleasing font (not required but would be nice!)

*To-the-point explanations

You might want to check out Hake Grammar. It doesn't start until 5th grade, though, but I think a 4th grader could easily do level 5. It has levels 5 - 8. You can find info & see samples here. "Affordable" is relative - you can get the student textbook, teacher book, and writing workbook in a package for less than $45. (We don't use the writing workbook portion here, but it is just a minor component of this program. The bulk of the program is in the student textbook.) On the review portions of each lesson, I usually assign only the odds or only the evens, or else it would be overkill most days. I also let my writing-phobic DS write in the book, but you wouldn't have to do it that way. I'd say Hake meets all your other requirements and also includes the diagramming you want, so you might find it worth looking at. Good luck!

Edited by Kay_ks

Thanks for the suggestions! I forgot about Hake; I need to check out samples of that one. So, if you use Hake do you NEED a separate writing program, or does it have enough on its own?

You wouldn't NEED a separate writing program if you just want basic, traditional writing instruction. IMHO, though, Hake's writing lessons are pretty dry and I think there are better options for writing programs. Here are links to the table of contents for the level 5 writing workbook: Hake Writing TOC p1 and TOC p2. We REALLY like the grammar portion though! The sentences used in the grammar instruction have variety, retention seems great, and DS doesn't grumble like he did last year using a different program.

Edited by Kay_ks

• 2 weeks later...