Menu

Saxon 87 math problem help needed

Abbeygurl4

My ds is on lesson 74, lesson practice problem "c".

C. Eighty is 0.4 of what number?

The method they want him to use is :

80 = 0.4 x Wn

80/0.4 = 0.4 x Wn/0.4 ( I couldn't type it as a fraction)

200 = Wn

DS's method is :

80 = 0.4 of X

0.4 = 2/5

(80 divided by 2) 5 = 200

My question is : Is there a reason behind Saxon having him do this problem a specific way or can ds use his method? Ds says that the Saxon method is very confusing to him. I'm not sure what to do.

My ds is on lesson 74, lesson practice problem "c".

C. Eighty is 0.4 of what number?

The method they want him to use is :

80 = 0.4 x Wn

80/0.4 = 0.4 x Wn/0.4 ( I couldn't type it as a fraction)

200 = Wn

DS's method is :

80 = 0.4 of X

0.4 = 2/5

(80 divided by 2) 5 = 200

My question is : Is there a reason behind Saxon having him do this problem a specific way or can ds use his method? Ds says that the Saxon method is very confusing to him. I'm not sure what to do.

There is no difference - he is doing exactly the same thing. Whether he calls the fraction 0.4 or 2/5 makes no difference.

He should, however, learn to properly write out his procedure, using a variable for the unknown quantity:

80 = 0.4 of X = (2/5) X

80/ (2/5)=X

X=200

There is no difference - he is doing exactly the same thing. Whether he calls the fraction 0.4 or 2/5 makes no difference.

He should, however, learn to properly write out his procedure, using a variable for the unknown quantity:

80 = 0.4 of X = (2/5) X

80/ (2/5)=X

X=200

:iagree:

80 = 0.4 of X = (2/5) X

80/ (2/5)=X

X=200

Gotcha! Thank you!

I would also make sure he knows how to divide by a decimal, since they were clearly wanting him to practice that. 0.4 was easy to convert to a fraction, but what if the problem was "80 is .12345 of what number?" Then he'd want to use the decimal (and long division by .12345 probably isn't real exciting :lol:).

I would also make sure he knows how to divide by a decimal, since they were clearly wanting him to practice that. 0.4 was easy to convert to a fraction, but what if the problem was "80 is .12345 of what number?" Then he'd want to use the decimal (and long division by .12345 probably isn't real exciting :lol:).

Good point, I'll make sure.