Menu

can you reccomend a microscope?

faiths13

I guess it depends on what you mean by "not very much". And what are you using it for? Do you want a compound microscope or stereo microscope? Do you want monocular or binocular? (binocular are usually twice as much)...

Sonlight sells a really nice microscope for around $200?

http://www.sonlight.com/250-40.html

If you want to spend less than that, I would look for a used one on E-Bay.

Nature's Workshop sells some nice ones as well, in a variety of price ranges:

http://www.workshopplus.com/productcart/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=30

You can get a Brock Magiscope for around $130, depending on which variation you buy. I will try to find time later to post some photos I have taken through the eyepiece of it without any special equipment.

I love it because it is easy to use, has great optics, is very durable, and because its genius illumination system does not require batteries or electricity, you can haul it anywhere easily, even to museums. You can use it for transparent or opaque objects. Focusing is a snap.

I lve this microscope-- I used to do microscopy professionally as a genetics researcher, and this is not a toy.

As promised, here is a small sample of photos taken through the lens of the Brock Magiscope. Please note, this was done very casually-- using a hand-held ipod pointed through the eye piece sitting on the kitchen table, no fancy extra equipment, or even any attempt to hold anything stable, so given the circumstances, not bad :D

post-27475-13535087676796_thumb.jpg

post-27475-13535087677174_thumb.jpg

post-27475-13535087677539_thumb.jpg