Menu

Is this reasonable? WWYD Somewhat of a vent post

I need to vent, and I'm not sure what to do. Today we attended a local Girl Scout Expo, and it really drove home that dd struggles with the little things due to her ASD.

She REALLY wanted to get to meet the National GS CEO and get the special patch she gives out, but the organizers were requiring the girl herself {no adults allowed} to have a photo taken with the CEO before they got the patch. Dd refuses to have her photo taken 90% of the time {including today} and definitely not without me present. She had a meltdown {which the folks organizing the line for the National CEO both saw & ignored} over the photo issue, and it took me a good 30 minutes to get her calmed back down enough to enjoy the rest of the expo. I tried asking could we just not do the photo - "no it's required". So dd didn't get the patch, and was very sad about it.

Was I unreasonable to ask could we just not do the photo? Honestly I didn't want the photo anyway - I'm pretty sure they wanted photos for their PR, and I don't want my kid in that without my knowledge.

I really don't know if I should complain due to lack of accommodation? There were HUGE issues for special needs kiddos of ALLLLL types at the event, like only 2 handicapped restrooms for the ENTIRE venue & the inability to get anyone in a wheelchair down to the main floor where the priority seating was. I'm pretty sure if would have been a nightmare for anyone low vision as well, as you had to go up or down a steep incline to get to seating, and some doors were locked with no explanation.

And how do I work with dd on the photo issues?

Seems bizarre to me. I was a Girl Guides leader here in Canada and diversity and the accomodation of special needs was always stressed. I never had a year I didn't have a SN girl and I always had to consider our activities with them in mind. It just seems crazy tha they would not accomodate your daughter.

I too would write a letter.