Menu

Have any of you made an analysis template?

I want my son to take an article or editorial and analyze it for logic and rhetoric. I think it would help us to start out with a template of some kind. I found a few for logic online, but would like to combine the two. If you are willing to share what you have done that would be great. If not, I'll try to make one up.

Something like

I. Background

II. Author's purpose/thesis

III. assumptions

etc.

Thanks!

Kendall

Are these what you mean?

AP PARTS Method

Author -- Who created the source? What do you know about the author? What is the author’s point of view?

Place and Time -- Where and when was the source produced? How might this affect the meaning of the source?

Prior Knowledge -- Beyond the information about the author and the context of its creation, what do you know that would help you further understand the primary source? For example, do you recognize any symbols and recall what they represent?

Audience -- For whom was the source created and how might this affect the reliability of the source?

Reason and Bias -- Why was this source produced and how might this affect the reliability of the source?

The Main Idea -- What is the source trying to convey?

Significance -- Why is this source important? Ask yourself, “So what?†in relation to the question asked

SOAPS + S (or SOAPSTone)

S What is the SUBJECT?

the general topic, content or ideas contained in the text

S What is the SOURCE

newspaper, photograph, cartoon from liberal newspaper, etc.

O What is the OCCASION?

the time and place of the piece

what event inspired the dfocument

why was it written THEN

A Who is the AUDIENCE?

the readers to whom the piece is directed

who is the intended audience

P What is the PURPOSE?

the reason behind the text

why was it created?

What is the reaction the author wants?

S Who is the SPEAKER?

the voice that tells the story -- not always the author

S What is the SIGNIFICANCE?

T What is the TONE?

Yes, thanks. I'm wanting to put together an analysis form that includes some or all of that and logic as well and maybe figures of speech as well. I want my son to start out with an outline of what to put in the analysis. If no one else has done this I hope to get to it, or we'll just fumble through and make one after the fact for the next time. Or after fumbling through maybe I'll realize we don't need one. Hmmm.