Menu

Anypne switch from Saxon to Math-U-See?

HSMom2One

My dd switched from Saxon 5/4 to MUS. She wasn't bored, just found the work very tedious and had begun to dislike math. She was only 8 and very quick w/ math and I didn't want to kill her love for it so early! :) She's in her 3rd year using MUS now and does well. It isn't thrilling math, but she has regained her love of math (concepts, complex stuff, and math tricks). :D

While DS age 8 did well with most of the concepts, he wasn't ready for the multiplication. He the type that likes to be able to get all the information on the sheet and became frustrated on the concept he didn't understand. It was like one bad apple made him not like the entire bunch. He also didn't like the timed test. I modified this a bit and just had him record how long it took him to do the test, but this still was frustrating. Then I just let him take the test w/o timing him, but he knew this was supposed to be a timed test.

I finally decided (with advice from this board and some friends that I knew) that Saxon's approach, spiral might not be suited to my son's learning style and personality. Since switching to MUS, he enjoys math and is doing well. He also enjoys Steve Demme's humor as DS watches the DVD with me.

While I like Saxon's approach, I realized that it wasn't about what I liked, but what was the best way to help him learn math, thus we switched to MUS. I also had to get over us taking what I considered a step back in math to cover addition and subtraction which I thought he had already understood. He's able to not just memorize the fact, but understand the concept, knows which one to use when and is able to verbalize it and teach it back to me or one of his friends.

Did I say I also had to get over the fact that I had to buy another math program. It was well worth it. I am glad we made the switch. Hope this helps you.

I switched my oldest from R&S Math to MUS. (Not quite the same as Saxon, but close enough. :) ) He took to MUS like a fish to water, so my opinion is probably a bit skewed. He is not a math natural (like his Mama), but immediately took to the MUS units and has been making steady progress over the last year. We are both happy with the switch!

My other son finds math much easier and uses Saxon; which he prefers over MUS (despite my best efforts to sway him otherwise!) Ironically, this son loves manipulatives, but doesn't like to use them for his math. He does, however, like to watch the DVD lessons with his brother.