Menu

Is anyone knowledgeable about Medicare and cancer treatment?

My dad is still in the hospital awaiting a treatment plan. He doesn't really want to discuss the financial implications of his diagnosis, and I can't blame him.

I, on the other hand, want to get the information I need to make the best decisions possible. Maybe I'm just being smart, because somebody has to think about money. Maybe I'm just trying to focus on something other than the prognosis. I'm not sure.

Here is the situation. My dad has lived below the poverty level, by choice, most of his adult life. About a year ago, a natural gas well was put on some land that he owns 1/16th of the mineral rights to. He told me that the payments from that put him way over the eligibility cut off for Medicaid.

A month ago, his mother died, and the estate has not yet been settled. His inheritance could be quite substantial because he will receive a larger percentage of the mineral rights to the property with the gas well.

I want to know if receiving his inheritance will affect how much Medicare will pay for his cancer treatments. Is there a benefit in trying to delay his getting more money?

I don't even know who to talk to for information.

I want to know if receiving his inheritance will affect how much Medicare will pay for his cancer treatments. Is there a benefit in trying to delay his getting more money?

I don't even know who to talk to for information.

I am pretty certain that the answer is yes, that the inheritance can affect aid. There should be a social services worker in the hospital that can better advise you, particularly if your dad is receiving any government aid (or did in the past). Perhaps you could start there.

:grouphug::grouphug: You all are in my prayers.