Menu

Auditory Processing Disorder test help

Hello. Just wondering if anyone had any opinions or experience in this department? I had my dd do a Gibson Cognitive Test Battery with a woman who is licensed to give the test. She told me she has APD. This is her job and she has been doing this a long time. Her auditory analysis was at a 3 year old level. She just turned 8 and has also been diadnosed with ADHD and a low IQ (borderline). On the 3rd part of the analysis it goes like this: say hot w/o the /h/, say plan w/o the /l/, sun w/o the /s/, pump w/o the /m/. Of course she couldn't do much of this. Would that be a normal thing for a child with a lower IQ, technically a 6 year old, to be able to do this? One part of the test was: if I say /p/ /l/ /a/ /n/ you say plan, /n/ /u/ /p/ you say nup, some of these she did not get, more than half. But at home when I did them with her, she did a little better. Is that because she is used to my voice? She has been having trouble with spelling beginning blends, as in stop, slug, trap... she can't pick up on that 2nd letter. I have to say it real slow a couple times and have her repeat it slowly and then she can hear it. Is that not normal for a child with a lower IQ? She has quite a few on the symptoms of APD. Sometimes she seems fine though, but other times it is like she doesn't fully get what is said. Can the symptoms depend on how she is feeling or of course what noise is distracting? I want to do the full APD test which is $400, but I would hate for them to tell me she is fine and have spent all of that money. KWIM? I know it is better safe than sorry, but then we are back to square one. I know there is something else going on in her little head. This is at least fixable! Any opinions or experience??? Thank you!!!

Only an audiologist trained in administering the APD tests can dx APD.

I had my dtr fully evaluated by a University Professor with expertise in APD. She is a Audiologist/SLP. My dtr was dx as APD, apraxic, dysarthric, naming and retrieval issues. She also has a low IQ but that was done by a psych from school. My dtr is impaired but typically APD kids verbal IQ is lower than their performance IQ.

Your child needs remediation in phonemic awareness. An SLP will help. LiPs can help. Earobics or Hearbuilder helps. The auditory perceptual skills section in Helping Your child Overcome Learning Difficulties by Dr. Jerome Rosner works on these skills,too.

Only an audiologist trained in administering the APD tests can dx APD.

I had my dtr fully evaluated by a University Professor with expertise in APD. She is a Audiologist/SLP. My dtr was dx as APD, apraxic, dysarthric, naming and retrieval issues. She also has a low IQ but that was done by a psych from school. My dtr is impaired but typically APD kids verbal IQ is lower than their performance IQ.

Your child needs remediation in phonemic awareness. An SLP will help. LiPs can help. Earobics or Hearbuilder helps. The auditory perceptual skills section in Helping Your child Overcome Learning Difficulties by Dr. Jerome Rosner works on these skills,too.

:iagree:

I will strongly add:

1. Usually reputable places will not test a child under seven for APD.

2. They also will not usually test a child who has been diagnosed with ADHD unless they are being treated.

3. Also, APD tests are normed for people of average IQ. If a low IQ is in question, why should they want to test on a child who is so young?

Even if you decide to go ahead, I don't know if the results would be reliable given these three factors.

Honestly, red flags were going off for me as I read your post. Not about you at all, you obviously are obviously really on top of things and are genuinely interested in helping your child. I just don't know if they are coming from the same place.

As the PP advised, working with an SLP seems the appropriate route to take now, in addition to the other tools mentioned. You might find that your dd's IQ will go up once the phonemic awareness is remediated, and it certainly sounds like the potential is there.

Kids with APD can vary in their ability to process from one situation to another. It's really a crap shoot. It's very similiar to ADHD. So you're not imagining that.

I know you want to know what's going on as soon as you can, but I would wait, and I would go somewhere that you can absolutely trust that test is being done right, when it's the right time for your dd. My choice would be a pediatric audiologist familiar with APD.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

A lot of kids get mis diagnosed as add. R ADHD when they are really CAPD. I would advise going to an audiologist. There are several pieces to CAPD and you don't have to have all of them to be diagnosed. My son is 7 and was diagnosed in February. He goes to OT and speech once a week. We are seeing huge steps, especially with the speech. But you have to make sure that your speech therapist is qualified to work with CAPD and not just teaching pronunciation. Good luck!

Agree with all of the above.

Also realize that CAPD, ADD and IQ are not related. You can be intelligent and have CAPD and all the other combinations. Teasing out all those components at your daughter's age is extremely difficult; choose your evaluator carefully.

• 2 years later...
Guest rwalrath

First do not pay $400 for the test. Find an Audiologist that specializes in diagnosing APD. I had my son tested twice. The first time was covered by insurance. The second test was $65 and that was not covered by insurance. This is classic CAPD. I would not listen to tests about IQ or tests about ADHD. I have experienced the same from schools trying to force those diagnosis because they do not understand CAPD and how it works. 

My son is going through a tutoring program at Axiom learning. Their program targets the fundamental core issues my son is facing which is the same core issues most kids with CAPD. You should check them out. I would also check out SLP and Occupational Therapists. I discovered my son has sensory processing disorder too. If CAPD is a result of chronic ear infections when your daughter was a baby than most likely her vestibular muscle in her brain was affected. If you search vestibular disorder, you will find a wealth of information. However I discovered that gymnastics and tumbling will help tremendously. 

I would also look up AIT Therapy. AIT therapy helped my son tremendously distinguish between the blended sounds. I am also going to be starting him on iLS sound therapy as well. After working with sound therapy look at Fast Forwords which is a popular and well founded computer program.

Do not give up on your daughter. Do not take in consideration anything you were told about low IQ. And yes she will make progress but then end up a square 1 again. Keep pushing and look up all the key words in my post.

Good luck.