Menu

Need advice in next 3 hours RE: WWE2 vs WWE3

Colleen in SEVA

I can't decide whether to go with WWE2 or WWE3 (or 4??) for my almost 9 yo DS starting tomorrow morning. Yes I have seen the evaluations in week 36 of each, but they don't seem that different to me.

Is there a simple tip you can give me for deciding between 2 or 3?

He hasn't had any formal writing instruction before this point because he willingly writes on his own and I didn't want to mess with that. He types elaborate stories with varied sentence structure, and his grammar & mechanics are great for his age.

He struggles with narrations. I think he would benefit from going through WWE, but none of the levels "feels" right. I probably could just focus on having him write narrations in his content subjects, but to be honest I need something all laid out like WWE (seriously, I do not even have time to read through several paragraphs to choose one for him to narrate).

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

OK, that makes sense. I used WWE3 with my oldest, and when I glanced through WWE2 it seemed like basically the same with shorter selections that were read aloud instead of read on their own.

If it matters in your advice, he is a strong reader.

If WWE2 steps through narrations, that seems like a logical place for him to start.

I'd go with WWE2, also. My oldest is a natural creative writer, does tons of writing on his own, but still struggled with doing structured narrations in WWE. If you're worried about timeline, I think it was in the Writing With Skill thread--I was reading the other day where SWB said that the last levels of both WWE and WWS are optional. So if he gets through WWE3 and is doing well, he should be ready to go right into WWS (which, incidentally, my son who hated WWE is really enjoying and doing well with).