Menu

Xp drop WWE or stick wit it! Also, writing tales ?

Halcyon

My younger (7) is on Week 24 of WWE3 and he does well with it but is no longer enjoying it. He is a natural writer who truly has loved writing stories, poetry and comics in the past, and i do not want his dislike of this curriculum to influence his love of writing. That said, he is also my student who enjoys changing things up a little TOO much for my liking, and it s a fine balance to know when to move him. I Am not a curriculum hopper at all, and planned to complete WWE3 before moving on. The curriculum i have been eyeing is Writing Tales, but am not sure which level one wold move into after (mostly?) completing WWE 3.

Thank you.

Eta: he has completed WWE1 and WWE2 already, fwiw.

I just started WT2 today with dd9 and here are some of the things that factored into my decision to start with level 2.

1. She can write long stories over a week or more.

2. I think that she will be ready to start WWS1 or Homer in another year, but she is not quite there yet and WT2 is supposedly the level before Homer. (I used WWS and Homer last year with dd11, so I can see that we are getting close.)

On the flip side, I have ds who is in WWE 3, but he likes to write the least amount that he can possibly get away with and WT2 would not be fun for him.

If he likes to switch things up then why not switch things up? My oldest dd does two math curricula. We don't do them both at the same time. We do one until we get to a good stopping place, get stuck, or get bored, then we do the other one. It works really well and I'm considering doing the same with my other kids. Maybe the other curricula you use for writing could be more of a creative approach, since he seems to like that. Or maybe you could go more informal during the "breaks" from WWE.

If he likes to switch things up then why not switch things up? My oldest dd does two math curricula. We don't do them both at the same time. We do one until we get to a good stopping place, get stuck, or get bored, then we do the other one. It works really well and I'm considering doing the same with my other kids. Maybe the other curricula you use for writing could be more of a creative approach, since he seems to like that. Or maybe you could go more informal during the "breaks" from WWE.

You're right ;) I tend to like to "stick with things" to create continuity, but we switch it up with both grammar and math with him, so why not writing? Thanks.

You're right ;) I tend to like to "stick with things" to create continuity, but we switch it up with both grammar and math with him, so why not writing? Thanks.

That's me. I don't like hopping or using two things because I have this notion to "finish" something.

DD is very creative and loves to tell stories. She would write them if she could but newly 6, she is pretty slow. We are reading through grammar island and she is picking up on it. I am doing WWE2 every other week with her right now and the other week we are doing some creative writing.

Just an hour ago, I went through WWE3 for my own seven year-old who really doesn't need as much repetition as the program offers. I marked the lessons that covered mechanisms he hasn't yet had experience using (such as direct quotations), and we're just doing those. We'll be done before the end of the month, and since I already have WWE4 I think we'll do that next, at an accelerated pace, until he seems ready for WWS.