Menu

Need BTDT Barton/Wilson

Are there ones of you that have started using Barton and then switched to Wilson Reading? We are really struggling with the cost of Barton every few months and I know that Wilson covers it all.

I have also been told/read that Wilson isn't near as scripted but in going to

their site they do have teaching DVDs.

When you made the change, did you get the DVDs and did you find them helpful?

In general, were you happy with the change or did you regret it? Can you share your experience either way? Even ones who have started with Wilson and stayed there? Or possibly ones that started with Wilson and have changed over to Barton? Please share your experiences with these two programs.

My two are both in Level 3 of Barton and doing well with it. My husband in the

past has expressed he thinks we should just keep on with Barton but we have

recently had some major medical expenses again and it is getting more difficult to come up with the $$ for Barton all the time. I know they resell well but at this point my dd is going to be ready for the next level in about a month and my ds is going to be a bit before he is ready to move on. I do expect the gap to continue to grow a bit also.

I appreciate any and all sharing.

I haven't switched; but Barton Level 4 is the longest one (12 lessons, iirc) and it's hard. Many people take longer to get through that level. I think it took us about a year, and it was nice to not have to buy another level for awhile. That said, dd is speeding through level 5, so I'm bracing for buying the next level in a month or 6 wks. :tongue_smilie:

I haven't switched; but Barton Level 4 is the longest one (12 lessons, iirc) and it's hard. Many people take longer to get through that level. I think it took us about a year, and it was nice to not have to buy another level for awhile. That said, dd is speeding through level 5, so I'm bracing for buying the next level in a month or 6 wks. :tongue_smilie:

Thanks for the info. I know in my heart we simply need to keep going. It will help if they don't speed through level 4 quite so quickly. I started with level 3 with my dd in middle of Aug. and she is ready to start lesson 6. With my oldest sons Dr appointments, tests and then a 2 wk hospital stay, we have only done Barton on average 3 days a wk. After this next week we should be able to do 4-5 lessons a week. I figure we will need the new level in a month or so.

We haven't switched from Barton either. As Lizzy says, it slows down and covers more materials as the levels progress. I wanted to repeat that point, especially since you sounded basically happy with the program.

I plan to go through it all the way to level 10, but since he's reading so much better, I've lost some of my motivation. As we've moved up in levels, my ds' reading improved to the point where last spring he could read at grade level! Yeah! We took a break from it over summer (not a good idea, but I needed a break) and now instead of moving onto the next level that I purchased last spring, we're repeating the previous level. Ouch. I wish he was now ready for the next level!

Anway, I know that money can be tight, but you have a good problem if your children move through Barton quickly! :)

Here's a link to a blog post I wrote that compares both.

http://seasonsoflearning.blogspot.com/2010/05/wilson-reading-system-vs-barton-reading.html

We went all the way through Wilson. Had I started with Barton, I may have stayed with it, but having started with Wilson, detouring to Barton for a short while, I found that I personally liked Wilson better. However, they both have negatives and positives which I tried to cover in the post.

HTH!

Thanks, Ladies. I have found a used set of Level 4 for a good price so will be getting it. I honestly wish I would have simply gotten Wilson to start with but didn't. At this point I am afraid we are far enough that it might be confusing for my kiddos.

Thanks again for your insight.