Menu

Toddler Idea :)

We have been doing tea time every Tuesday afternoon for years. Up until about 8-weeks ago the toddler has been fine to eat his snack, then go about his business playing. Then he started getting LOUD and wanting on my lap when he was done. It was becoming a big distraction and we started rushing through and losing the joy of the time together.

One afternoon, about 5-weeks ago I think, we had muffins for tea time. The toddler kepting pointing at the table asking for 'dat' over and over. Finally realizing he was asking for the muffin liners I gave them to him. He also had on his tray a few smaller items (blueberries & cheerios) and started putting them into the muffin liners one at a time. Dumping them out. Repeat. Eating one every so often.

Since that afternoon we have had the most pleasant of tea times. The toddler gets his regular snack (part of the 'treat' we are sharing). Once he finishes I give him a stack of muffin liners and a couple handfuls of smaller food items. He sits content for a good 20-minutes with this while we read and enjoy our tea time. Perfection. My olders are thrilled.

I am not sure how long this will last, but so far we have gotten a good six weeks out of it. This is the only time I hand him this so he doesn't bore of it the rest of the week. I figure once boredom strikes I'll need to come up with something similar, yet different. For now though, we'll ride this wave.

Anyway, I thought I would share since I know I am not the only one who is looking for ideas to entertain toddlers :)