Menu

AO placement

wy_kid_wrangler04

We are going to do Ambleside Online next year (ds's will do year 2 together, dd now 5th?? I am thinking year 4?) But, here is my question. There is so much good in years 2 and 3 I don't want her to miss out, ya know? So could an older child double up on AO years until we hit a good stride doing just 1? I mean, could a 6th grader do years 2 and 3 in 1 year? (I would do weeks 1 and 2 in week 1, 3 and 4 in week 2 etc for both years) Or would that simply be to much? It doesn't 'appear' to be to much on the surface but I don't want to start and find we are in over our heads, ya know? Has anybody done this?

If you think this would not be good to do, what would you recommend I have her read from those years over the summer do kinda get up to speed? Also, do you think year 4 would be a good starting point for a 6th grader starting AO? (That is of course, if we don't do years 2 and 3 together)

Thoughts? I will look at any and all advice on this. I don't want to overwhelm her but I don't want to miss anything either. I am torn!

I think there are some combined year schedules on one of the Yahoo groups. I will look. I think it won't work if you double up the years as written. It is too much and I believe it's important (a la cm??) not to overload. Or maybe that was LCC. Lol. At any rate I think there are two combined year schedules. I will go look. Definitely years 1 and 2 were favorites here and I wouldn't want to miss some of that.

Back again. Well, they've moved the AO group to the AO homepage, so I suppose the files have been moved too. I didn't join and check. I'm not sure if it's okay to link directly into the old yahoo group files, but there are schedules for combined years 1 and 2, years 3 and 4, and years 5 and 6. I think you can find them by going to the AO page, joining the forum and looking in their schedule files. If not, let me know and I can find a way to get a copy to you if that will help.

Also, i would recommend asking these questions on the AO group, as they have a lot of experience there and can probably guide you.

I agree with Woolybear about looking at those schedules which will schedule the highlights of the earlier years rather than trying to do absolutely everything.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AO_HEO_Schedules/?yguid=312743129

Although AO is transitioning from the yahoo group format to a forum format, the yahoo group link (above) should work and you should be able to join easily.

Look for the pre year 3 schedule

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AO_HEO_Schedules/files/Ambleside%20Online%20Schedules/Pre-Year%203/

and the pre year 5 schedule

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AO_HEO_Schedules/files/Ambleside%20Online%20Schedules/Pre-Year%205/

They are well done and might save you a bit of time. HTH